Single Phase AC motor

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by leech10, Apr 13, 2018.

1. leech10

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Hi

I am wondering about one thing. When we have single phase AC motor with 2 windings, one opposite another connected with each other why on one side we have N and in the opposite side we have S. I know that inductor provides 90 degrees phase shift but when in the opposite looks like having 180 degrees phase shift. Don't really know why is that

Regards

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Here is the method of rotating a AC induction motor with the 'induced' field in the rotor bars that then are attracted to the pole piece to provide rotation, as one bar moves out of the field, the next moves in.
    Max.
    upload_2018-4-13_8-49-28.gif

3. leech10

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Hi

Thanks for the reply but what I dont know is how the rotating field of the stator is changing in the way it produces N and S on opposite side. So i.e. when the sine wave is raising for example left stator is N and right is S. Then it changes other way round according to the frequency of the current. How this happens that we have N and S at the same time? Looks like there is 180 degrees phase shift?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    In order to obtain opposite polarity of the poles, the End of pole one, would be connected to the End of pole two, thereby causing the current to flow in the opposite direction of each pole set.
    Max.