Single Latching switch to power on a SFF PC in a GameCube.

theSpicyOrange

Joined Nov 11, 2019
tl;dr I am building a PC inside of a GameCube shell and would like to use the original power button from the GameCube, if you like more info on the build and its progress, see my build thread on SFF Forum. GameCube PC Build

So here is what I need help with, I have the original power button, it is a latching switch (open/closed). With the way my power delivery works I need that switch to control two things. There are two pins on the motherboard that need to jumped momentarily on the rising edge (<250 ms) and two pins that need to jumped the entire time the button is closed. I have 5v power from an internal usb header that supplies current even with the system shut down.

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hi SpicyOrange, It could greatly simplify what you would need if you had a quick check with a multimeter and could determine what voltages are present on the lines you have to switch - measuring each between the ground on the PCB and each wire. That way you could see if you could use a simpler switching signal.
The alternative is to use two 5v relays, one switched on directly from the button (and 5v supply), and one powered through a large capacitor (with a largish resistor across it.) - rather crude but it would give you a momentary switch on (the resistor will then discharge the capacitor when the button is no longer depressed.)

theSpicyOrange

Joined Nov 11, 2019
Sorry for the late response, but between school and work I had put my project on hold. Well now that I have more time on my hands I've begun work on it again. Circuits are not my forte (ME student), is what I drew up what you were envisioning? For the resistor and cap what values would be best, 100 kOhms and 1 micro Farad, or is the a formula ( tau = R * C)?

20200329_002701.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.