single flash laser circuit

tbfish

Joined Mar 2, 2023
Hi all,

I need to make a compact 3V circuit that I can fit inside the grip of an air soft gun.
Its function will be to flash a laser once for a split second when the trigger is pressed.
any help finding such a circuit of how to make one will be much appreciated.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi all,

I need to make a compact 3V circuit that I can fit inside the grip of an air soft gun.
Its function will be to flash a laser once for a split second when the trigger is pressed.
any help finding such a circuit of how to make one will be much appreciated.
There are several different types of lasers that use quite different power sources. Also there is a wide spread of power levels.
And different laser types will require different trigger arrangements.

For a simple diode laser with a very short duty cycle you could just have a capacitor a switch, and a battery. When the trigger is at rest the battery is charging the capacitor, then when the trigger is active the switch connects the diode laser to the capacitor and the laser illuminates and the capacitor is discharged in a very short time. That might be all that you need.

You will need to know the laser maximum allowed current and voltage, then choosing the capacitor value is just math.

tbfish

Joined Mar 2, 2023
There are several different types of lasers that use quite different power sources. Also there is a wide spread of power levels.
And different laser types will require different trigger arrangements.

For a simple diode laser with a very short duty cycle you could just have a capacitor a switch, and a battery. When the trigger is at rest the battery is charging the capacitor, then when the trigger is active the switch connects the diode laser to the capacitor and the laser illuminates and the capacitor is discharged in a very short time. That might be all that you need.

You will need to know the laser maximum allowed current and voltage, then choosing the capacitor value is just math.
This is all the information on the eBay listing-

Parameters
Wavelength:850nm
Output Power:3.5mw
Working Voltage:DC3.2V
Working Temperature:+15 ℃~+35 ℃
Laser Shape:Dot(rectangular to oval)
Focusable:yes
Material:Aluminium
Dimension:12x30mm or 12x40mm

Features
1.Two-wire input, the red line is positive, black line is negative.
2.This 850nm laser module with driver built-in is an industrial electronic component and used for Industrial testament, Lab.Before carrying on some laser DIY activities, please read about the technical information first and protect your eyes before laser ray. Be sure the operator has experience in optics DIY or testing.
3.Please wear 980nm laser protection goggles when you work on it.

Package
1pc New 3.5mW 850nm Infrared IR Laser Diode DOT Module DC3.2V Focusable Unit

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
2.This 850nm laser module with driver built-in is an industrial electronic component and used for Industrial testament, Lab.Before carrying on some laser DIY activities, please read about the technical information first and protect your eyes before laser ray. Be sure the operator has experience in optics DIY or testing.
3.Please wear 980nm laser protection goggles when you work on it.
What is this laser air gun being used for? This module should not be used in anything where it’s light can come near anyone’s eyes. Unless the air gun body is permanently attached to a platform where it’s target is positioned such that nobody can get near it, you could blind someone.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Tryit with two AA cells and a 10 mfd 15 volt capacitor. If the flash is adequate you are all set.
And with that little bit of data is why I do not buy on ebay.

tbfish

Joined Mar 2, 2023
What is this laser air gun being used for? This module should not be used in anything where it’s light can come near anyone’s eyes. Unless the air gun body is permanently attached to a platform where it’s target is positioned such that nobody can get near it, you could blind someone.
It is for a digital shooting range. The IR laser is shot on to a projector screen and picked up by a camera. It will only ever be shot “down range”

tbfish

Joined Mar 2, 2023
Tryit with two AA cells and a 10 mfd 15 volt capacitor. If the flash is adequate you are all set.
And with that little bit of data is why I do not buy on ebay.
How would I wire that up. Would it be the AA cells > switch > capacitor > laser diode + then back to the - on the cells.

Sorry not done any electrical stuff since I left school a number of years ago.

It was only for a prototyping and proof of concept. That’s why I used eBay.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, sorry to have not explained in minute detail. The switch must have three contact terminals, a common, a normally closed (NC), and a normally open (NO) contact.The battery negative terminal connects to the laser module negative and one capacitor terminal, the negative if it is a polarized capacitor. On the switch, the NC terminal connects to the battery positive terminal, the switch common "C" connects to the other capacitor terminal (+ if it is polarized), and the laser positive connects to the switch normally open (NO) terminal.
So when the switch is not operated the capacitor charges from the battery,and when the switch is operated the capacitor discharges to the laser module. This gives the short pulse.

tbfish

Joined Mar 2, 2023
OK, sorry to have not explained in minute detail. The switch must have three contact terminals, a common, a normally closed (NC), and a normally open (NO) contact.The battery negative terminal connects to the laser module negative and one capacitor terminal, the negative if it is a polarized capacitor. On the switch, the NC terminal connects to the battery positive terminal, the switch common "C" connects to the other capacitor terminal (+ if it is polarized), and the laser positive connects to the switch normally open (NO) terminal.
So when the switch is not operated the capacitor charges from the battery,and when the switch is operated the capacitor discharges to the laser module. This gives the short pulse.
You are the man! I will try this out. I was looking in to a 555 timer circuit and all other ways of doing it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Capacitor discharge flash has been around for a long time. Without all of the information a bit of experimenting will be needed. The required capacitor size can actually be calculated if the load resistance and current versus voltage are known.