single field alternator

Morris440mag

Joined Aug 1, 2017
I have a 68 chrysler with single field alternator and external solid state regulator. Could a double field alternator be adapted to work. Tried hooking up and volts jumped up and down up to 18 volts. am I stuck w/double field.

Not sure what your saying.

My parents had a '68 and the brushes were issue #1 and the stator got pretty deteriorated. We had the car for like 17 years when new in 1968.

That as far as I remember, it had brushes 90 degrees apart for the rotor and top hat diodes pressed into the frame. basically the alternator of today with an external regulator.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Can you confirm what I am going to ask you? By saying single field, do you mean there is only one terminal for brushes and case ground, and by double field you mean that you have two brush terminals? If so, then yes you can interchange the rwo with some changes to the circuit and the regulator.

Morris440mag

Joined Aug 1, 2017
[QUOTE="bwilliams60, post: 1162321, member]led groundber: u confirm what I am going to ask you? By saying single field, do you mean there is only one terminal for brushes and case ground, and by double field you mean that you have two brush terminals? If so, then yes you can interchange the rwo with somechanges to the circuit and the regulator.[/QUOTE]
The old alternator has one field and one ground brush. The new one I bought, in error, has two field connections and no ground brush. It does have a space labled "ground" that is empty, and a ground brush could be screwed in. Hope that makes sense. Wondering if I could put ground brush in empty space and use only one field. Thanks for your attention, Morris

Last edited by a moderator:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Can you post pictures of the back of these two units. I used to rebuild alternators and starters for a living so I am sure I can help you. Just need to see what you have to work with.
Pretty sure you have an A circuit and B circuit alternator and you should be able to convert one to the other without much problem.

Morris440mag

Joined Aug 1, 2017
Can you post pictures of the back of these two units. I used to rebuild alternators and starters for a living so I am sure I can help you. Just need to see what you have to work with.
Pretty sure you have an A circuit and B circuit alternator and you should be able to convert one to the other without much problem.
I figured it out. Thank you for your attention.