Singer 9985 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine bought through Amazon US by mistake.

BritishBulldog

Joined Jun 6, 2023
Firstly, apologies for this post. I don't know who to turn too.

Hi, I bought a Singer 9985 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine via Amazon.com on the 28th of September 2019 and because I was moving house I did not need to use the machine. A year later I unboxed, and I realized that it did not have the UK power lead, just the US power lead. I made some enquiries and the machine is for the US 110 volts and as it can't be taken back I need to fix my problem.

I got a converter plug from US to UK, and after I plugged in, I realized the current issue. But I thought it was a 220v machine, since Singer knew it was going to be delivered to my UK address.

I have tried all the Singer outlets, but they don't want to touch it.

I have gone to some YouTube people that do electronic DIY repairs and asked for help, they did not reply to me.

I even tried to find the Taiwan factory, but to no avail.

The sewing machine has never been used. I opened, and I tried to fault find by searching continuity, but I stopped just in case I screw it up even more. Nothing seems to be burnt. Just dead.

I have included 3 pictures, only the one with the serial number is actually mine, the other two are from a UK website that provides the same machine but for 220v. I wanted to confirm that the machine could be used with different voltage.

My guess, is that the issue is with the motor.

I am a lorry driver and I travel mainly thought the Midlands. I am willing to take it to any engineer's workplace to get it tested.

I have a couple of alternatives.

One, could be buying the same model but in the UK and possible have the US machine as spare parts.
The other option is trying to fix it, but if this fails, then I can always buy another brand (as a last resort) and just offer this one as spare parts for other users or to a Singer retailer.

If anyone sees this post and could give me some help on what to do, I would be greatly appreciated.

Initially I would like if it could be done a proper fault find, then if it could be fixed.

Regards,

Oscar
Northampton

Singer Quantum 9985 Sewing machine UK 2.jpg
Singer Quantum 9985 Sewing machine UK 1.jpgSinger Sewing Machine 20211116_202602.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The very first thing to suspect is a power fuse that should have immediately opened and protected the rest of the system. That was what happened to my company when wewent to use a computer in China. A fool assumed that since ithad a switching power supply that it would switch to 220 volts. WRONG!!!
So changing the power switch and replacing the fuse and all was well.
Certainly a Singer machine should have a mains power fuse that would instantly open and protect the rest. The challenge will be locating the fuse.
At least that is a logical guess based on the fact that it is a quality brand.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Firstly, your machine takes 120V 55W. That is not at lot of electrical power needed.
My first suggestion would be to get a 240V to 120V step-down transformer that can supply 100W. They are not terribly expensive.
Here is an example:

New 100w 110v / 120v to 220v / 240v Step-up Down Voltage Converter Transformer cn Plug SW-S12,Power Converter : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I am going to assume that since this is a more modern sewing machine, the motor and all the electronics operate on DC voltages. Hence the machine does not care about the 50Hz/60Hz conversion.

Next, have you already plugged it into 240VAC? Hence the machine is no longer working?
Otherwise, try the 240VAC to 120VAC transformer and let us know what happens.

Make sure that the transformer is stepping down 2:1 otherwise stepping up will be putting 480VAC into the machine. Check the output voltage with an AC meter.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's hard to tell what kind of damage you might have done by plugging it into 220 VAC. Could be nothing more than a blown fuse or it could be a completely fried board (they can be destroyed without showing any visible signs of damage). Lots of other possibilities, too.

If authorized repair centers aren't willing to touch it, that's a good sign that it was likely damaged beyond repair -- but not a guarantee that that's the case.

What happens if you try to power it up from a proper 120 VAC, 60 Hz source (such as a decent inverter)?

If you are going to try to fix it, then you are going to need a proper power source for it anyway.

Why are the only two options to immediately get a new Singer of the same model and use this for parts, or to try to fix this one and if that fails get a different brand? Why can't you try to fix this one and, if that fails, then get another Singer of the same model and use this one for spare parts?

BritishBulldog

Joined Jun 6, 2023
It's hard to tell what kind of damage you might have done by plugging it into 220 VAC. Could be nothing more than a blown fuse or it could be a completely fried board (they can be destroyed without showing any visible signs of damage). Lots of other possibilities, too.

If authorized repair centers aren't willing to touch it, that's a good sign that it was likely damaged beyond repair -- but not a guarantee that that's the case.

What happens if you try to power it up from a proper 120 VAC, 60 Hz source (such as a decent inverter)?

If you are going to try to fix it, then you are going to need a proper power source for it anyway.

Why are the only two options to immediately get a new Singer of the same model and use this for parts, or to try to fix this one and if that fails get a different brand? Why can't you try to fix this one and, if that fails, then get another Singer of the same model and use this one for spare parts?
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, I meant to try to fix it first, then if it is not possible then buy another one just like this one and use the current unused for spares.

BritishBulldog

Joined Jun 6, 2023
Next, have you already plugged it into 240VAC? Hence the machine is no longer working?
Yes, you are right, I think or I hope this Singer model has a built-in fuse inside the machine, if that is the case, then the electronics might be safe, and then the inverter would be a solid option.

I don't mind investing in ANY additional power supply if that would be the solution, hence the need to trouble shoot the machine.

Thanks for responding too.

BritishBulldog

Joined Jun 6, 2023
The very first thing to suspect is a power fuse that should have immediately opened and protected the rest of the system. That was what happened to my company when wewent to use a computer in China. A fool assumed that since ithad a switching power supply that it would switch to 220 volts. WRONG!!!
So changing the power switch and replacing the fuse and all was well.
Certainly a Singer machine should have a mains power fuse that would instantly open and protect the rest. The challenge will be locating the fuse.
At least that is a logical guess based on the fact that it is a quality brand.
If I open the bottom case and take a few photos, would that help??
Sorry, thanks for responding too.

BritishBulldog

Joined Jun 6, 2023
Firstly, your machine takes 120V 55W. That is not at lot of electrical power needed.
My first suggestion would be to get a 240V to 120V step-down transformer that can supply 100W. They are not terribly expensive.
Here is an example:

New 100w 110v / 120v to 220v / 240v Step-up Down Voltage Converter Transformer cn Plug SW-S12,Power Converter : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I am going to assume that since this is a more modern sewing machine, the motor and all the electronics operate on DC voltages. Hence the machine does not care about the 50Hz/60Hz conversion.

Otherwise, try the 240VAC to 120VAC transformer and let us know what happens.

Make sure that the transformer is stepping down 2:1 otherwise stepping up will be putting 480VAC into the machine. Check the output voltage with an AC meter.
I just check the link you gave me, I think I can work with that. It is not expensive at all, even if it would not work. I just need to get the power cable too.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I wonder if there is a complementary model sold in the UK which might be the identical M/C?
Singer used to have good support in the UK. it may be worth seeing if there is a similar 230 model and down load the manual. also contact their support for any help/info!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just check the link you gave me, I think I can work with that. It is not expensive at all, even if it would not work. I just need to get the power cable too.
The ad suggests that this is a step-up and step-down converter. I don't see any instructions on how to select the step-down feature. I will try to find the User Instruction to see how you select this option.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The fuse is inside the machine, probably close to the power inlet connector. So if you open the case carefully, in the area near the power inlet connector, you should be able to spot the fuse, as they try to have the fuse as close to the power entry as is possible. You can probably follow the wire from the connector to the fuse. And it makes sense that a fuse for that power level would clear before anything else had a chance to be damaged.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A fused plug would make it even simpler. But the sewing machines that I have worked on all have an internal mains fusethat was intended to be replaced by a Singer tech for about $100. Also, I would not trust a removable fused power cord.. There are a whole lot of non-fused removable power cords around.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Get yourself a power tool transformer (site transformer), and a 110V yellow plug. Wire the plug on to a standard IEC power lead.
Don‘t trust the “voltage converters”. Either they distort the waveform, or they are auto-transformers which can put 230V on an American plug which is only designed for 120V.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The OP is in the UK!!
I was fully aware that the TS was in the UK. And I am also aware that internal fuses are the norm for 120 volt sewing machines. Besides that, it is quite likely that the internal fuse is a lower current rating and faster operation type than those found in the UK. And given that the machine was intended for 120 volt operation in the US, it probably had an internal fuse..

wraujr

Joined Jun 28, 2022
(1) You plugged machine to 220V and it did not work (nor did it pop or smoke)
(2) Have you since plugged it in to a proper 120V? Yes or No?
(3) If you have plugged to 120V, you are saying it did not power on (i.e. screen light)?
If you have tried number (3) let's hope its a fuse on "Item (b)" of the attached diagram and service manual.

Attachments

wraujr

Joined Jun 28, 2022
Also note that the parts list shows two choices for 3-4 components (i.e. US or UK). So pretty sure this is not a dual/multi voltage device.
Your hope is to have 240V to 120V electrical converter (not just plug adapter) to power machine....and you have not destroyed internal power supply....