Simultaneous measurement of multiple devices

Imperiable

Joined Oct 14, 2020
Hello everyone,
Very new to this field so please bear with me.
I want to simultaneously test multiple solar cells (ideally 32) to speed up my work, for this I will need to apply a voltage (or a voltage scan) to each solar cell and record the current response. In an ideal situation I would be able to control each solar cell individually, for example I might want to do a voltage scan on one cell, while I hold another at a constant voltage. Can anyone recommend what hardware I would need for this?
Thank you!

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Do you want to buy an off-the-shelf recording data acquisition system or do you want to build the solution yourself?
Regards.
Keith

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Either way, you must start by defining exactly what you need.
I presume that the solar cells are connected in an array. If so, each voltage measurement can not be made with reference to the circuit common but must be completely isolated. A relay scanner is the simplest way to connect an electrically isolated meter across each cell in turn. There are many on the market but they are quite expensive.
Is this a fixed installation?
What is the range and resolution you need on the measurements?
What is the required maximum isolation voltage from ground.
How do you want to record the data?
Do you need to edit and add notes to the recorded data?

Make a list (specification) of what you need. Add everything you can think of. Then we can see what alternatives you have.
Regards,
Keith

Imperiable

Joined Oct 14, 2020
Thank you for your help. The solar cells are not connected in an array. They are labscale devices, at the moment we have to measure the devices one by one and considering it takes 10 minutes to test 1 device, it takes the better part of my day to test the 32 devices that are commonly in a batch. I want to connect all the devices to the setup and measure them simultaneously so the whole batch is done in 10 minutes.

The voltage scan we typically do is from ~1.2V to 0V and the resulting current under illumination varies from uA to mA.

The measurement setup and recording data will probably go through software that I will have to code myself