simplifying function to minimum number of literals

asad123

Joined Dec 12, 2013
hi
i obtained an equation which i simplified further to some extent but after simplification i am not getting the required output which i was getting before(without simplification)...

Function:
AD'+BC'D+A'B'CD

my simplification:

AD'+(BC'+A'B'C)D
AD'+[(BC'+A')(BC'+B'C)]D (Distribution)
AD'+(BC'+A')(B XOR C)D

Is it fine n max simplified..??
help will highly b appreciated :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you aren't getting the same output, then you know something is wrong.

Have you prepared a truth table or K-map for the original function and your simplification? That will show you if they are the same and the K-map will also let you see if your boolean manipulations make sense.

So let's look at those a bit.

You start with:

F = AD'+BC'D+A'B'CD

You then factor out D from the last two terms, which looks fine.

F = AD'+(BC'+A'B'C)D

You then distribute the BC' over the A'B'C to get

AD'+[(BC'+A')(BC'+B'C)]D

Which is fine -- though it is unusual to see someone actually use the distibutive property of OR over AND since the notation is very counter to what our normal arithmetic tells us is allowed.

As I look at it, I think what you have is valid, though not the "simplest".

When you say it doesn't work, which specific combinations of inputs are producing different results?

asad123

Joined Dec 12, 2013
during implementation i were using CMOS IC on TTL system.... its probably bcz ov dat....
there wre two 4-bit inputs inputs which wre producing wrong result....(sounds stupid but i dnt remember those combination as it was not in my notes)

would you mind simplifying it for me to its simplest form...??
thanks

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
during implementation i were using CMOS IC on TTL system.... its probably bcz ov dat....
"bcz ov dat"?

This isn't Twitter. You need to start making an attempt to communicate using full sentences.

there wre two 4-bit inputs inputs which wre producing wrong result....(sounds stupid but i dnt remember those combination as it was not in my notes)
And so... what? We're supposed to be able to clairvoyantly look into the past and conjur up what you didn't bother to write down into your notes?

would you mind simplifying it for me to its simplest form...??
thanks
Yes, I would mind. It's YOUR homework!