Simplify the expression by algebraic manipulation

Margarie

Joined Jan 19, 2018
Hi guys can someone please help me with this expression:

(WX + Z’)(Y’ + Z) + W’(X+Y’)

I used the association property on the first operand and it leads me nowhere further from this initial expression.

This is what I did:

(WX + Z’)(Y’ + Z) + W’(X+Y’)
WXY' + WXZ + Z'Y' + Z'Z + W'(X+Y')
WXY' + WXZ + Z'Y' + W'(X+Y')

and now I can't seem to figure out what to do next. Any help is much aprecciated!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes I have. By using it I got the expression:

XW' + W'Y' +Y'Z' + XWZ + XWY'
Isn't that the same as in your first post once you distribute out the last term?

One subtle point on these kinds of question is what constitutes a "minimized" expression?

Is A(B+C) more "minimal" than AB+AC?

Margarie

Joined Jan 19, 2018
I think I have just simplified it.
I used the theorems:
1) A+A'.B = A+B
2) A.B+A'.C+BC = A.B+A'.C

And so these were the steps, if it may help someone:

XW' + W'Y' +Y'Z' + XWZ + XWY'
X(W'+WZ)+Y'(W'+WX)+Y'Z' , using 1) with X(W'+WZ) assuming (A=W', A'=W, B=Z) and with Y'(W'+X) assuming (A=W', A'=W, B=X):
X(W'+Z)+Y'(W'+X)+Y'Z'
XW'+XZ+Y'W'+Y'X+Y'Z' , and using 2) with A=Z, A'=Z', B=X, C=Y':
XW'+Y'W'+XZ+Y'Z'

This was the simplest I got. Thank you guys and I hope it's correct, even tho I checked on logisim and it was equivalent. :p

Margarie

Joined Jan 19, 2018
Isn't that the same as in your first post once you distribute out the last term?

One subtle point on these kinds of question is what constitutes a "minimized" expression?

Is A(B+C) more "minimal" than AB+AC?
To answer your question I'd say it depends on the proximity someone may have with the subject, even tho it is equivalent anyways! I guess it is probably about the perspective some people might have, because it doesn't make it more minimal, for me it's just the same :p