Simple, easy, version control for a single hobby developer.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The two systems I most want to use it for are MPLABX and eagle. It must work with an MS windows GUI.
The ones I have looked at seem overly complicated for my purposes.

Edit - And of course it should be free!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
eI would suggest you use git with one of the graphical clients available for it and ignore the advanced features you don’t need. You will have ot learn a bit but th advantage is you will be able to interact with GitHub, the most common location for open source projects and the advanced features will be there is you decide to use them later.

I can’t recommend a Windows GUI client since I don’t use them, but I know there are several and a lot of IDEs integrate with git, including MPLABX, it seems..

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
The two systems I most want to use it for are MPLABX and eagle. It must work with an MS windows GUI.

I would pose this question at both MPLABX and Eagle user communities for guidance.
One thing to be careful with is the format of the files you will be versioning.
Mose ascii text files will be fine, but if the files are a proprietary format, or binary, the may be subject to corruption, or become in an un-retrievable state.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've never had a problem with git versioning with Eagle or MPLABX projects (HEX and binaries) using proper commit checkouts. You can't cherry pick/cut/paste changes between X version with binaries but that's a small limitation. For Windows systems I use Git Bash.
https://gitforwindows.org/

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015

Git, and GitHub. period.

Excellent tool I use is SmartGit (runs on Windows or Mac) I learned Git and GitHub the hard way five years ago and kicked and objected like a mule but I did learn and so understand all too well how others can need help sometimes until they "get it". Visual Studio too has ever increasing Git support, lots of features creeping in all the time (e.g. I can open a repo in Visual Studio and it will show a tree view with every solution listed, irrespective of where the solution might be situated within the folder hierarchy).

Ask questions here, many of us can certainly help you get traction.