Simple circuit to Power up B13S8

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
Hello!
I wanted to ask you for a simple circuit, the high voltage power supply and basic controls like brightness, focus... Something like the upper Part of this: http://danyk.cz/elmon2.png. Can it work with that schematic (B13S8 has 3 more grids as 13LO3I)? Thank you for your advices.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The high voltage and other voltages, and the additional controls, for a oscilloscope display portion are not terribly complicated. BUT they vary from model to model and so to give any useful advice we will need to know what those requirements are.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
I don't know, what requirements do you think, it should have focus (probably by regulating negative voltage on the first anode) and brightness (by regulating voltage on cathode). I haven't any datasheet of this screen, and I was wondering to Power it up with MOT, because it will probably require some special transformer, like there: http://danyk.cz/elmon2_en.html.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I don't know, what requirements do you think, it should have focus (probably by regulating negative voltage on the first anode) and brightness (by regulating voltage on cathode). I haven't any datasheet of this screen, and I was wondering to Power it up with MOT, because it will probably require some special transformer, like there: http://danyk.cz/elmon2_en.html.
Does the portion of the monitor that you have contain the circuit that is shown in the attachment here? If it does then much of your project is already completed. All that is needed to complete this system as a video monitor is a video amplifier, the sweep oscillators, and the synchronization circuits.But I suggest not powering it until you have some sweep signals available. Otherwise you will burn a spot in the center of the screen.
So please let us know if you have the portion of the system shown in the attachment.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
Does the portion of the monitor that you have contain the circuit that is shown in the attachment here? If it does then much of your project is already completed. All that is needed to complete this system as a video monitor is a video amplifier, the sweep oscillators, and the synchronization circuits.But I suggest not powering it until you have some sweep signals available. Otherwise you will burn a spot in the center of the screen.
So please let us know if you have the portion of the system shown in the attachment.
I haven't done anything from a circuit yet, but when I will have done it, I will pay attention not tu burn the screen, I am now just thinking, how to make HV power supply, then I will run everything from the circuit.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I haven't done anything from a circuit yet, but when I will have done it, I will pay attention not tu burn the screen, I am now just thinking, how to make HV power supply, then I will run everything from the circuit.
What I am asking is if the assembly that you have includes what is shown in the attachment you posted. That includes the high voltage power supply, so you would not need to build one if you have that part.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
What I am asking is if the assembly that you have includes what is shown in the attachment you posted. That includes the high voltage power supply, so you would not need to build one if you have that part.
No, I haven't made it, because I am not sure, if it will work, B13S8 has 3 more grids like 13LO3I on schematic, and I dont know, how to connect them.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No, I haven't made it, because I am not sure, if it will work, B13S8 has 3 more grids like 13LO3I on schematic, and I dont know, how to connect them.
OK, But I was asking about the hardware, not the circuit drawing. So the drawing posted is for a different tube. So what you need to locate is the drawing for the assembly that you have on hand. THEN we can determine what you need to build.
My guess now is that all that you have in your possession is the CRT and it's mounting hardware. No additional electronics, no tubes, and no power supply. Or is that not the case?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I lack enough information to really provide any really good advice at this point. AND, I do not know what a "B13S8" actually is. If it is a CRT monitor assembly what controls does it have? And if it has parts besides a CRT, what parts does it have. Any knobs? Any other tubes? What information do you have about it?

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
OK, But I was asking about the hardware, not the circuit drawing. So the drawing posted is for a different tube. So what you need to locate is the drawing for the assembly that you have on hand. THEN we can determine what you need to build.
My guess now is that all that you have in your possession is the CRT and it's mounting hardware. No additional electronics, no tubes, and no power supply. Or is that not the case?
It's related to his other post on building a TV set.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...-to-1950s-television-set.169078/#post-1503562
OK, I lack enough information to really provide any really good advice at this point. AND, I do not know what a "B13S8" actually is. If it is a CRT monitor assembly what controls does it have? And if it has parts besides a CRT, what parts does it have. Any knobs? Any other tubes? What information do you have about it?
B13S8 is oscilloscope screen with static deflection. I have no information about it, only the pinout. It was used in oscilloscope Tesla BM430.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That post finally states that what the TS has is a crt, 5 inch screen, or possibly an 8 inch screen, all by itself. That is a rather small starting point. I have suggested considering the effort and cost of adding the rest of the parts to make a functional green screen video monitor. I can't even imagine where one would get a socket to match the CRT.

Bobes

Joined Mar 19, 2020
That post finally states that what the TS has is a crt, 5 inch screen, or possibly an 8 inch screen, all by itself. That is a rather small starting point. I have suggested considering the effort and cost of adding the rest of the parts to make a functional green screen video monitor. I can't even imagine where one would get a socket to match the CRT.
I have socket. It has 13cm diameter, as the name says, so 5 inch.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I didn't do this forum question https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...-to-1950s-television-set.169078/#post-1503562, I don't know, who added it to AAC, but it wasn't me.
And it certainly was not me. The strange part is that it still shows you as the TS. sp somebody somehow copied your identity.

But there may be a worse problem, which is that there was a data breach at some website and the password that I used to have here was copied, along with my email, and some evil troll sent me a nasty attempt at extortion, demanding $2000 in bitcoin be sent to it's bitcoin wallet. I had not received the warning about that so I changed a lot of passwords. THAT is a royal pain, by the way.