Simple Circuit Design Examples

FredLau

Joined Oct 7, 2020
Hello folks!

A group of fellow students and I are designing a game for a project, meant as an introduction to the subject of general electrical engineering.

It is going to be at a very basic level, introducing primarily voltage, current, resistance, in combination with Ohms Law.
We would also like to introduce Korchoffs. 1 Law (maybe 2. Law also)

Does anybody have some good suggestions for simple curcuit designs, that could introduce these concepts. It would be good to be able to introduce them one-by-one, although we know that introducing voltage, current and resistance can be somewhat difficult without directly using Ohms Law directly from the start. We are open to suggestions though!

If anybody has any ideas for some basic curcuits, please let me know! It is very much appreciated!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

This forum has restrictions on how members respond to homework questions. Will you be receiving a grade for this project?

FredLau

Joined Oct 7, 2020
What are some ideas you and your team members have?
Good question. Guess I'll start by giving you the context of the game.

The game will be a VR game, taken place on a space station where you will take on the role of a new technician. This is mostly done as a narrative aspect.
You will be introduced to the systems of the space station, through voice commands from the technical leader. The systems of the space station will of course be simple, as they're meant as an introduction to basic electrical engineering.
By being introduced to the principles of basic electrical engineering, the player will be able to e.g. open doors, fixing components etc. to continue progressing through the game, hence why we want to start with the very basics, building onto Ohms Law, and Kirchoffs Laws.

We haven't really discussed very concrete examples yet, mostly because of lack of knowledge of electrical engineering between a few group members.

We have discussed e.g. that the first circuit "puzzle" could be something along the lines of a circuit with a given voltage, resistance, and current, where you might have to open a door - the current would however be to low caused by a too big resistance. So the first task could be to replace the resistor by a smaller resistor to make the door recieve more power, makong it open.
We think that this would show the basic relationship between current and resistance, providing a basic understanding of it, that the teacher afterwards further could explain during class.

Things like this, where it's very simple, but could provide a learning experience for the student (player) playing the game.

Hope this explained it a bit!

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
The game will be a VR game, taken place on a space station where you will take on the role of a new technician.
But suppose it was an alien space station whose electrical system was destroyed by an EMP weapon. As a new technician in the EWF (EMP Weapon Forces) your assignment is to bring the alien space station back online. But you first realization is that the alien wiring is ...alien. Whereas humans use distributed voltage with switched current, the aliens use distributed current with switched voltage. But, you are armed with your trusty VOM.........

FredLau

Joined Oct 7, 2020
But suppose it was an alien space station whose electrical system was destroyed by an EMP weapon. As a new technician in the EWF (EMP Weapon Forces) your assignment is to bring the alien space station back online. But you first realization is that the alien wiring is ...alien. Whereas humans use distributed voltage with switched current, the aliens use distributed current with switched voltage. But, you are armed with your trusty VOM.........
That could make for a fun / interesting game. Could implement different aliens that would interfere with your systems in different ways - making you have to eliminate / work around the different types of aliens.

However, I don't think it is within the scope of our project - mostly because we have to teach actual electrical engineering to some students, and not a kind of alternate electrical engineering.
Will however write the idea down, as it's actually a pretty fun / unique idea!

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
and not a kind of alternate electrical engineering.
But I was not suggesting that different laws of physics apply in an alien setting. I'm sure that alien engineering would still be governed by Kirchoff's Laws; however, they would probably not be called "Kirchoff's" laws.