signals and systems help me please

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So what does your best effort at a solution look like? You might start by explaining what Y(jω) and y(t) are supposed to be. A convolution perhaps?

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
I think that the exercise is asking you a) the Fourier transform and b) the convolution of the two signals.

Do you know how to proceed ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Fourier transform
Do you know of a way to get the Fourier Transform before you get the convolution?
Is convolution in the time domain, equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain?
This is your homework after all, and you need to show some effort.
Homework Help is not the same thing as homework done for you.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
I don't have his paper down on my table, but a) is the Fourier Transform and b) should (or could) be the convolution.

Also:

X(iw)H(iw) = x(t) * h(t)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't have his paper down on my table, but a) is the Fourier Transform and b) should (or could) be the convolution.

Also:

X(iw)H(iw) = x(t) * h(t)
Ahhh....I thought I remembered a theorem to that effect. So you can compute the Fourier transforms of x(t), and h(t). Multiply them together to get Y(iω), and finally take the inverse Fourier Transform to get y(t). Did I get that right? Now the TS/OP really really has to do something so we can proceed. This is enough now with the hints.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
\(x(t)*h(t) = X(\mathrm i \omega)H(\mathrm i\omega)\)

is the convolution property of the Fourier Transform.

papabravo said:
Now the TS/OP really really has to do something so we can proceed. This is enough now with the hints.
I agree!

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Ahhh....I thought I remembered a theorem to that effect. So you can compute the Fourier transforms of x(t), and h(t). Multiply them together to get Y(iω), and finally take the inverse Fourier Transform to get y(t). Did I get that right? Now the TS/OP really really has to do something so we can proceed. This is enough now with the hints.
Yeah, remember, convolution in time domain (which is a pain in the butt) is simple multiplication in the frequency domain.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

Also:

X(iw)H(iw) = x(t) * h(t)
thumb2, I think the OP is supposed to use transformation identities, I remember my Signal and Systems textbook had a whole table where they would have time domain representation of a signal on one side and corresponding frequency domain representation on the other side. There was something like 8 or 10 entries in that table, impulse, step, ramp, sine and a few others. This way students can quickly work out their time domain signal into frequency domain signal, without doing the whole Fourier Transform.