Signals and Systems Doubt

Vikram50517

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Hello all, i have a trouble understanding how integrator acts as a delay in a Continuous Time System. I can very well understand the role of delay in Discrete time system, appreciate answers which provides me a great insight for the same in a CT system

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Output of an Integrator achieves an equal Voltage with the Input at a later time.
That time delay follows strict formulas.

I don't understand what it is that You want to know.
Are You working on a Circuit, and need a time-delay ?

Vikram50517

Joined Jan 4, 2020
naah naah , just for a conceptual understanding not doing any electronics stuff right now :). Hey but can you elucidate more on the first line you had said . The role of delay is pretty much clear in DT systems.. It just shifts the signal to the right. The problem is wrt CT systems , my mind bends !

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What you see at the output depends entirely on what is at the input. Delay is one possible interpretation of what is happening for a particular class of inputs, namely periodic sinusoids. Why is this? Integration is functionally indistinguishable from a delay of one quarter cycle. This is because the process of delay and integration produce the identical result. Kind of like a stopped watch that tells the correct time twice a day. Integration does not exist for the purpose of creating delay in continuous time systems.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
........ Integration does not exist for the purpose of creating delay in continuous time systems.
And what about harmonic oscillators consisting of two integrators? The working principle for these oscillator configurations is based on the 90 deg phase shift (delay of 25% of a sinusoidal period) produced by each integration stage.

Vikram50517

Joined Jan 4, 2020
dic sinusoids. Why is this? Integration is functionally indistinguishable from a delay of one quarter cycle. This is because the process of delay and integration produce the identical result. Kind of like a stopped watch that
can you give me an example where integration does the same process as a delay

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
can you give me an example where integration does the same process as a delay
There are active filters and oscillators - both with integrators as a core elements. In these circuits, it is the primary task of the integrators to introduce the 90 deg phase shift into the function.