Signal modifications for guitar

sixstringartist

Joined Apr 8, 2008
Im in the planning stage now on a hobby project and wish to make one or more effects pedals for a guitar. I dont know what Im shooting for, however, and came here in hopes that someone would have a good link that describes the signal transformations for various audio effects like distortion, reverb, chorus, flang, etc. Thanks

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I know this one thing from experimentation with a guitar and a homemade amp and a scope to watch the voltage. By clipping the signal you get fuzz.

Im in the planning stage now on a hobby project and wish to make one or more effects pedals for a guitar. I dont know what Im shooting for, however, and came here in hopes that someone would have a good link that describes the signal transformations for various audio effects like distortion, reverb, chorus, flang, etc. Thanks
I wouldnt recommend making your own as there is a lot fo wrok involved and you will never sound as good as the big boys multiple effects boxes.

I use a Zoom 707 pedal and it is magic.
Everything in one box and it is programmable.

bluesguitar03

Joined Jul 19, 2008
I wouldnt recommend making your own as there is a lot fo wrok involved and you will never sound as good as the big boys multiple effects boxes.

I use a Zoom 707 pedal and it is magic.
Everything in one box and it is programmable.
Personally, to discourage someone from this seems a little harsh. I have built quite a few pedals for myself and friends and, for the ones I built for myself, they didn't cost more than I would've spent on the "real thing." The benefit for some is realizing that you built something awesome and it can be customized to your personal tastes much easier than something commercial. I have had many people ask where I got my pedals because they either liked the sound or they like that it obviously isn't something you can go to Guitar Center and buy.

I got into electronics by designing these simple circuits that I could've gone out and bought, but if I hadn't done that I wouldn't be designing my own mic preamps, power amps and other more advanced circuits.

My first simple pedal took me over a year of researching, deciding what the best parts were and how to do everything because I was a complete amateur. I still consider myself as inexperienced, but I know 1000 times more than I did a couple years ago, and it all started with guitar pedals.

The Geofex site is where I got a lot of my early ideas as well. :)

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Tom Scholz of the band Boston created his own distinctive sound by building an amplifier. As it turned out, it had a bad transistor that gave his guitar a unique sound. I say experiment away. My only advice would be to breadboard it first. That way, you can verify the circuit works and you experiment with different component values a lot faster than having to solder/desolder.

lespaul

Joined Jan 30, 2008
I saw this old post and just had to comment....sorry, but it was important to me.

Engineering is about discovery and learning. We are always learning and discovering new techniques, processes, design idea's, etc. this is how the best products that change ourworld are developed.

The Zoom 707 is a mediocre pedal at best and sounds over-processed...just my opinion based on 35 years of experience. I would follow that statement with even Zoom continues to expand their products and create new sounds based on 'their' own R&D. The new GNX series sound WAY better than the old 16bit 707 series. So, I say continue to learn, discover, play guitar like a fiend and design the best sounding effects you can. Who knows you might become the next Robert Keeley.