Siglent SDS2104x Plus Tek Mode

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
@tautech et al. Under the Utility Menu at the bottom of the list is a selection for Tek Mode. It is not documented in any of the manuals nor can I find any reference to it online. What the heck is it? The probe BNC connectors have wide bare washers for the old-style Tek probe ground connections but I can't see this as something being toggled on/off. Anyone know?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
@tautech et al. Under the Utility Menu at the bottom of the list is a selection for Tek Mode. It is not documented in any of the manuals nor can I find any reference to it online. What the heck is it?
boostbuck
nailed it.

Wow Sam, the X Plus is a big step up from what you were used to. Hope you like it as it's been a very popular seller since release.
There's a new HD 12 bit DSO being released in a day or so, still a 2000 series and many of the same features however the 12 bit acquisition and a new memory management menu. However HD will be double the cost. :(

This will be the 1st 12 bit DSO outside China for Siglent however the new memory modes were released in the SDS6000A a few months back and added into SDS5000X models with the latest firmware update.
The probe BNC connectors have wide bare washers for the old-style Tek probe ground connections but I can't see this as something being toggled on/off. Anyone know?
That's the probe sense ring that works with probes that have a sense pin however only works with 10x probes.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It was definitely a step up but I was running into situations where I needed 3 probes so... For my general purpose use, I mainly go for the slow normal acquisition @ 20M depth and 8 bits. So far that has given me the resolution I need. I did splurge and get the internal AWG and use the highly featured measure menu most of the time. I do particularly like the Bode Plotting Analysis. Surprised the Tek Mode is not mentioned in the 2000X Plus documentation. Didn't even consider looking in the 5000 and 6000 docs and searching for "Tek Mode" on the Siglent NA website found nothing. Mystery Solved! Oh and I also picked up the SDG1032X and SDM3055 to upgrade some of my old bench instruments.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I did splurge and get the internal AWG and use the highly featured measure menu most of the time. I do particularly like the Bode Plotting Analysis. Oh and I also picked up the SDG1032X and SDM3055 to upgrade some of my old bench instruments.
It's questionable that you even needed the FG/AWG license if you were to get the SDG1032X too as they pair with these X Plus scopes just fine for the Bode plot feature although it might be handy to have the 50 MHz Sinewave capability should you need it.
I've noticed in the 12 bit HD models coming Siglent have placed the FG/AWG output on the rear now and wound the capability back to the more standard 25 MHz although like most inbuilt FG's the output drive for either model is very ordinary.

We checked the BW for the SDS2104X Plus when I saw the first one in NZ and didn't initially believe what I saw until after checking it again with 3 yes 3 waveform sources to prove it was ~185 MHz -3dB point.....damn good for a 100 MHz scope and obviously why they are supplied with 200 MHz probes.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have played a bit with interfacing the SDG1032X as the internal AWG is a bit wimpy in comparison. It's wired and available when I need it. I'm also using a wireless mouse instead of the touchscreen. Still wish I could print directly to my printer instead of the USB memory stick but that's not a big problem. I often load the screen dump into a graphics program to annotate anyway before printing. It definitely has more capabilities than I need but I'm growing into it bit by bit.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I have played a bit with interfacing the SDG1032X as the internal AWG is a bit wimpy in comparison. It's wired and available when I need it.
Either USB or LAN works just fine for the scope to control the AWG sweep and stimulus for Bode plots and USB in particular is just plug and play whereas with LAN requires a local network switch near the bench.
If your PC is on the same subnet the free EasyWaveX SW utility could be of use as it permits editing of waveforms either saved from the scope or created within the SW and then uploaded into the AWG.
Sorry I can't find a link to an App note for the newer EasyWaveX version other than to say it's a great improvement on the earlier nonX SW. The only catch with it is that it requires the NIVISA Runtime connectivity drivers and this package must be installed before installing EasyWaveX.

I'm also using a wireless mouse instead of the touchscreen.
Depending on where you place one of these scopes you might find yourself using all 3 methods to work the UI, front panel, touch display and a mouse. Certainly when your really get to know these models and how to properly drive one you will use all 3 input methods.
Still wish I could print directly to my printer instead of the USB memory stick but that's not a big problem. I often load the screen dump into a graphics program to annotate anyway before printing.
Again this is where having your PC close to the scope can be useful as when accessing the scope using the inbuilt webserver a screenshot is simple to grab using the webserver screenshot save which autoloads into your browsers download folder from which is easy to open and edit it with your favorite image editing program and when finished just a click will send it to your printer.
Webservers in instruments really make our lives easier and below is roughly what you should see if you get the webserver set up correctly:
1654590436091.png
This is from a SDS5000X but the GUI in the 2000X Plus is the same.

1654590436091.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Either USB or LAN works just fine for the scope to control the AWG sweep and stimulus for Bode plots and USB in particular is just plug and play whereas with LAN requires a local network switch near the bench.
Actually I have set up both with a new switch just for the bench LAN. I have the AWG connected USB.

If your PC is on the same subnet the free EasyWaveX SW utility could be of use as it permits editing of waveforms either saved from the scope or created within the SW and then uploaded into the AWG.
The only catch with it is that it requires the NIVISA Runtime connectivity drivers and this package must be installed before installing EasyWaveX.
This is where I ran into some problems with the NIVISA as I was apparently trying to install the LABVIEW commercial package instead of just the runtime. Need to revisit. Can't remember if I ever got as far as getting the webserver working. Lots todo and taking it bit by bit.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Actually I have set up both with a new switch just for the bench LAN. I have the AWG connected USB.

This is where I ran into some problems with the NIVISA as I was apparently trying to install the LABVIEW commercial package instead of just the runtime. Need to revisit. Can't remember if I ever got as far as getting the webserver working. Lots todo and taking it bit by bit.
Good, a local switch opens lots of instrument control capabilities.

USB for connecting any instrument to a PC to use with one of the Siglent Easy**** SW packages that needs the NIVISA Runtime drivers normally is uneventful however a big catch for the newbie if you use a Windows OS is connecting the instrument via USB before installing the NIVISA package.
What happens is that when Windows sees the instrument is it installs a generic USB driver which stuffs everything up where Windows always remembers the driver it installed and doesn't know about the one in NIVISA.
However if you are even half confident in the Win OS file system the fix is quite easy and a document I did years ago showing how sort this USB driver issue is attached.

Gimme a poke if there's any further tips you need.

Attachments