Siglent SDS1102CML+ Scope Network Connection

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
@tautech et al

There is no information on the network port in the manual, only using the USB port. On the rear panel of the scope are both a CAT5 network port and a USB port. Connected CAT5/6 cable from scope to port on my WiFi/Cable router. On the scope under Utility/IO Setting/IP Setting (the GPIB is set to 18)/there is the IP Address 192.168.1.142, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gate Way 192.168.1.1, Mac Address 98:5D:AD:2B:9F:2C, DHCP Enable.

From Win10 command prompt I ping 192.168.1.142 and get "Reply from 192.168.1.142: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64"

OK I am connected cable wise. Win10 has no telnet? So I added a remote terminal telnet app, gave it the Host IP addy on port 21(command and control) and from it I get "no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" and for port 23(telnet) I get "server string is null or empty".

How do I log into this scope?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Hi Sam
Not sure which port is available/open for telnet but I'll have a look at my records and have a think about it.
If you need SCPI command access install EasyScopeX and the NI VISA Runtime package needed for the USB and LAN connectivity drivers. Be sure to install the NI stuff first as Windows can install default USB drivers that just won't work with EasyScopeX.
If you have issues getting a USB connection I have a little troubleshooting guide I can upload.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
No issue with that. I had EzScope working but the USB port is currently unplugged after I moved my bench/computer/etc to my new location. Haven't found a need for it as yet but reminded me to order a long USB cable for it.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I also found my scope was still using the 2016 firmware and loaded in the 2019 so checking it now.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
OK! The programming document helps. Kinda stuck on telnet for Win10. It is not available from the command prompt. Searching for it found that it was turned off under Win10 and enabled it causing a search for files and install. Now I have telenet. And now at latest scope firmware revision and scope running.

From my remote terminal telnet app
1595981033571.png

from command line telnet
1595981136948.png
I can ping it at 192.168.1.142 so it is there, and doesn't want to communicate?
@djsfantasi any ideas here dj?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
What's the letter o at the beginning of the telnet command ?
I don't believe it should be there.

For the very little of this I do I use Putty.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
OK! The programming document helps. Kinda stuck on telnet for Win10. It is not available from the command prompt. Searching for it found that it was turned off under Win10 and enabled it causing a search for files and install. Now I have telenet. And now at latest scope firmware revision and scope running.

From my remote terminal telnet app
View attachment 213411

from command line telnet
View attachment 213412
I can ping it at 192.168.1.142 so it is there, and doesn't want to communicate?
@djsfantasi any ideas here dj?
I’m actually having a similar problem with Win10. What I think is happening is the Windows Firewall is blocking port 5024. So you need to go into firewall settings and allow port 5024 both inbound and outbound. I’ve yet to figure out how to do that though.

By enabling Telnet, I think the firewall will let port 23 inbound and outbound. But your device isn’t listening on that port (nor 21 and 22).

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I’m actually having a similar problem with Win10. What I think is happening is the Windows Firewall is blocking port 5024. So you need to go into firewall settings and allow port 5024 both inbound and outbound. I’ve yet to figure out how to do that though.

By enabling Telnet, I think the firewall will let port 23 inbound and outbound. But your device isn’t listening on that port (nor 21 and 22).
5024 is the commonly used SCPI port for most Siglent equipment.
Other ports are blocked in an attempt to limit hackability.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Thx guys! Looks like I have some research to do since my current firewall is Norton. I'll have to work on it later since I will have to disable some things to do it and been a long day already. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I kinda had a niggling feeling that siglent was blocking that port to stop people from meddling around in their bailiwick.

Sam