Siglent "SBus", is it the same as HDMI?

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I bought a logic analyzer adapter for my scope and it came with a "SBUS cable". The cable is short yet upon close inspection seems identical to an HDMI cable. Can I just use an HDMI cable instead, because I have several of these that are longer than the supplied one.

https://siglentna.com/product/sla1016/

I tried an HDMI cable but after a few seconds the scope froze, wouldn't even shutdown until I removed the cable. Then when I tried the original cable it all worked fine again. Seems this Siglent "SBUS" is some kind weird proprietary thing...

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have a Siglent scope and logic analyzer. I was my impression that it shares the connector with HDMI but not the signals. I didn't investigate further, but I had the same result as you. Mind you my test cable was 5m long, so I could have been pushing it.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I have a Siglent scope and logic analyzer. I was my impression that it shares the connector with HDMI but not the signals. I didn't investigate further, but I had the same result as you. Mind you my test cable was 5m long, so I could have been pushing it.
Thanks, I reached out to Siglent, it seems to me that "SBus" is some internal "Siglent Bus" concept because the term historically refers to Sun workstations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBus

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
There is a note in the Siglent manual or on the website, don't recall exactly where I saw it, that states the connector wiring is not HDMI and standard HDMI cables can't be used.

There's a thread on eevblog forum about DIY cables for this

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you want to, why not try an HDMI cable as . If it works, that's great, but because of differences in the cable itself you might have problems with the signals traveling within, but the only way to know for sure is for somebody to try it either in the past or future.