Siglent Oscilloscope "Operating System"?

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I have a Siglent SDS1204X-E scope and want to update the firmware.

However when I visit their page for this I see not only firmware but also a "operating system" update!

1639689624429.png

Does anyone know what this is? I'm confused about any dependency between the operating system and the firmware and if updating both then what order to do them etc.

The firmware update instructions also says to "restart" the scope at one point, how exactly does one do that?

Any info appreciated!

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Tautech will probably chime in but the scope is software driven. Updates are available to tweak bugs and enhance operational features. You should find the method used by googling and follow their procedure to stay current. In my case it was done by plugging in the memory stick (used for saving files and screen grabs) with the software loaded on it from their website and simply following their procedure. Not as difficult as it sounds. By all means do all applicable upgrades!

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Weird, always cautious with this stuff.

When I insert the memory stick the scope displays "USB Flash Drive Removed" and when I remove it says "USB Flash Drive Removed"....

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I can't remember. You might have to plug the stick in and format it on the scope? It's been too long ago and I keep using the same stick. Seem to remember something about max stick memory size? The one I use is 32 gig which I think is Siglents (or my scopes) max. It is formatted FAT32.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
No, all good now, the case of the memory stick was a fraction of a mm too wide and when inserted it was slightly skewed and perhaps not seated well electrically, I tried a different one and it went fine.

I wonder what the "Operating System" update is all about...

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
OK that operating system update is irrelevant to me, seems to be concerned with their implementation and support for protocol analysis and the latest version simply adds NTP as a supported protocol.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
"Modern Day" software has everybody's wish list of desired features implemented of which most users will at best maybe use 50% of. Still helps to stay current "just in case".

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Ideally you want to install the V2 OS to gain the access to the new features and it needs be in the root of the drive for the scope to find it at boot and auto install it. A shutdown and reboot is always good practice after a OS or firmware install plus run a SelfCal after installs are finished.

NTP and Logging are the 2 main features added in later firmware and particularly the addition of a NTP clock that creates timestamps on saved screenshots and other various saved files which these scopes have been missing since day 1.
Some WiFi issues also have recently been fixed and the use of special characters is now supported in SSID and PSK for those that have them in their WiFi setups.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
You go to : https://siglentna.com/contact-us/
You should provide the model # and serial # so they know you are their customer and that step is complete.
Then If you are in North America you can call Siglent support and be ready to follow exactly what they tell you.
Talking to a trained and qualified technical support will help getting it right, hopefully not needing to return it.

SIGLENT Technologies North America, Inc
6557 Cochran Rd Solon, Ohio 44139
Tel: 440-398-5800
Toll Free:877-515-5551

Last edited:

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
sparky 1
We are the New Zealand Siglent distributors so can offer the same level of online support as any other distributor or Siglent branch.
FYI, unlike most other resellers we update the firmware in every unit we sell so have considerable experience in this field.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Oh sorry tautech. I see your official Siglent distributor company now
No worries sparky, yep that's us.
I asked moderators here when I joined about adding a signature displaying who we were however they advised against it.

I was lucky enough to be a beta tester for SDS1104X-E before their release so it's a product range I know quite intimately however we can also offer limited worldwide support for many Siglent products.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Thanks Tautech, much appreciated, I have another question I hope you can shed light on !

I have the SPD3303X-E.

It has two "independent" supplies that one can link (internally, by configuration settings) in "parallel" to double the max current available or in "series" to double the max voltage, I understand and have played around with it.

However I don't know and can't find any info about whether I can create a split supply - what I mean is can I create a voltage source that has a common as well as a +ve and -ve connection.

In series mode with say a total output set at 12v, there's 6v between CH1- and CH1+ as well as 6v between CH2- and CH2+.

Of course there's 12v between CH1- and CH2+ this is what series mode does, BUT can I physically connect CH1+ and CH2- together to create a common "ground" giving me a +6v relative to that and a -6v relative to that?

I can see there's a small voltage though of around 0.08 mV between CH1+ and CH2- so if I did connect these together a current would flow and that sounds bad!

If I put the unit into independent mode then there's absolutely no voltage between CH1+ and CH2- (well there's like a tiny noise voltage fluttering +ve and -ve) as if there are two independent batteries that one could connect this way (actually I just measured this on a scope, its actually a 60Hz 1v sine wave - a bit clipped/truncated).

I guess also that the green ground connector is the literal ground wire from the incoming mains supply cord (what do people use that for by the way?)

Any info much appreciated!

Last edited:

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Sparky, Channel 1 and 2 are totally independent therefore in individual mode you certainly can link outputs to create a split voltage supply like you might need for an opamp.

GND connections on PSU's are for tying the mains ground to the DUT and in some cases you may chose to ground the middle leg of the split supply. It just gives options ......

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I just found something odd on an older Siglent waveform generator SDG1025.

I know this is now discontinued by I just found out that one of the output channels is limited to a max of 6v PkPk yet this is not mentioned in any spec sheet or manual!

Can you possibly confirm this? do the newer models in the 300 to 400 dollar price range also have this assymetry?

Thanks

Scratch that! it is mentioned here: https://siglentna.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/DataSheet/SDG1000_DataSheet_DS02010-E07C.pdf