SIEMENS PROFET High Side Switch Explanation

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Hey everyone. Hope you are all having a great day. I have the BTS410F High Side Switch in a circuit and looking for a little clearer understanding of how it works. I have attached a diagram and looking for the Coles notes version or laymand terms version of how this works and in particular, what I should be looking for when testing it. Right now, in my circuit, I have 0.0V on pin 1 (GND), 0.0V on pin 2 (IN), which goes to the micro, 13.25V after the main diode on pin 3 (Vbb), 4.95V on pin 4 (ST) which goes to the micro and 0.14V on pin 5 (OUT) which goes to an external pin with no connection to it that I can see.
What should I see for voltages or on a scope that tells me this is working? Does the micro turn it on?

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Go to the datasheet and notice that there are two voltages given under Input and Status Feedback. One of them says you must exceed 1.5V (min) to 2.4V (max) to turn it on and the other says you must go below 0.8V to turn it off. this tells me that there is a Schmitt trigger device inside this device for your convenience.

1676833221099.png
You need to read the datasheet footnotes carefully to understand how to interpret the status output which is an open-drain output requiring a pullup resistor. I would expect the μP to control pin 2 to turn the device on and off, and monitor pin 4 for potential fault conditions.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I sent that out prematurely. 5 minutes after I sent it I read through it again and everything clicked in. I missed the input turn-on/off voltage on the first read through. I caught it after looking at the micro pins it was connected to and then going back. Thank you once again @Papabravo for your sage advice

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I sent that out prematurely. 5 minutes after I sent it I read through it again and everything clicked in. I missed the input turn-on/off voltage on the first read through. I caught it after looking at the micro pins it was connected to and then going back. Thank you once again @Papabravo for your sage advice
No problem. Datasheets can be formidable if you are not used extracting relevant information of interest on a daily basis. I have confidence that you will arrive at that point in the "futura proxima".

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I guess the next question now would be, does anyone know where to find a MC68HC05B6 microcontroller. I have voltage in all the right places by the looks of it and no XTAL action and no output from pin 20 to fire up that high side switch. tried heating it and reflowing it with no luck. If anyone has real ICs of this vintage, I would be interested in buying one or half a dozen from you.