Should vehicles have AM Radio for safety announcements?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The only reason that AM Radio still exists is because ..........
....... There was a building for sale that already had an AM-Transmitter in it
and an Audio-Mixing-Console,
and it was cheap.

Potential FM-Radio-Station buyers are willing to pay big-bucks for
the right "Coverage-Territory" that they think will bring them huge advertising profits.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What would be the point of putting an AM radio in a car these days. No one would turn it on.
Here in Canada, the police have access to an emergency transmission service through TV and all cellular phone systems.
It is illegal to use a cell phone here in Ontario while driving. Some time ago, in all their wisdom, they transmitted an emergency message about a domestic abduction that occurred 600 Km (373miles) away from my location. At the time, I was driving on the freeway with my phone in sleep mode. The alarm went off with a very loud intermittent raucous tone which was extremely distracting. I pulled onto the shoulder and checked the message. I saw other drivers frantically trying to quieten their phones while they were driving. As I left the shoulder to enter traffic, the alarm went off again. I pulled over and found that some genius had designed the alarm to repeat until it was properly cancelled. Now my phone turned off when I drive on the freeway.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm with Ford and Tesla.
If you want AM radio you can get a hand crank emergency radio flashlight phone charger thing. I don't like paying for things I don't use.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'm with Ford and Tesla.
If you want AM radio you can get a hand crank emergency radio flashlight phone charger thing. I don't like paying for things I don't use.
An AM radio function comes with the head unit, it would cost extra to have radios custom make without the AM function. Tesla and Ford are just eliminating the AM option from the GUI selection. In this case, you're paying for it and don't have an option to use it.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
In some areas the AM band is full of:
1-Radio for Jesus, send money.
2-Consertive talk, conspiracy theory, send money.
3-Sports talk,
4-News you don't want to hear.
On AM radio, they say Liberals are blocking the AM band. It is all a plot from the "New Order Agenda" to block concretive radio.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
What would be the point of putting an AM radio in a car these days.
Sometime last winter, I came upon a detour sign that advised me to tune into 1600 AM for traffic advisories regarding snow plowing in detour route as I drove into Western New York. The broadcast informed drivers that the roads would not be plowed until early morning because of staffing shortages. I was happy to have AM radio. Especially channel 1600 that does not appear to be blocked by liberals.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Alas poor AM for I knew it well. How else can we know when a thunder / lightening storm is still miles away. Such fond memories of Clear Channel AM radio stations increasing power in the evenings when smaller local AM stations shut down for the night. Thousands of those six transistor little AM radios on summer days on the beach all tuned to WMCI 570, WABC 770 or WINS 1010 on your radio dial.

In some areas the AM band is full of:
1-Radio for Jesus, send money.
2-Consertive talk, conspiracy theory, send money.
3-Sports talk,
4-News you don't want to hear.
On AM radio, they say Liberals are blocking the AM band. It is all a plot from the "New Order Agenda" to block concretive radio.
Seriously? I can find the same crap radio on AM on FM. Matter of fact I really seldom listen to radio while driving I just put a CD in and talk on one phone as I text on another, multitasking. The reality for me is I could care less what Ford or Tesla plan to do as to a radio in anything they make.

Just My Take...
Ron

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The reality for me is I could care less what Ford or Tesla plan to do as to a radio in anything they make.
Oh, don't worry, Ford and Tesla are just the first because they are the two largest e-Vehicle producers in the US which are targeted by safety regulators. GM and Stellantis are looking into disabling AM as well - as are the various EV startup companies which are too many to name.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
An AM radio function comes with the head unit, it would cost extra to have radios custom make without the AM function. Tesla and Ford are just eliminating the AM option from the GUI selection. In this case, you're paying for it and don't have an option to use it.
In that case I passionately object!
If there's anything I hate more than paying for things I don't use, it's not being able to use things I paid for.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
channel 1600 that does not appear to be blocked by liberals.
I've noticed in certain areas of the city I get full "5G" (4G) reception but zero data. Oddly enough it is usually within sight of an AT&T store (and I have AT&T service) but recently it happened within sight of a T-Mobile store. I was puzzled but now I understand. Liberals weren't happy just blocking AM radio, now they're coming after my Pandora. Despicable.