Should small-value coins be discontinued?

In 1857, the US government discontinued the half cent coin. What coins should be discontinued today?

• One cent (Penny).

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Penny AND five cent (Nickel).

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Penny, Nickel AND ten cent (Dime).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eliminate all coins - use credit card or e-payment systems.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • None, keep it the way it is.

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm all for eliminating pennies, if only to get rid of those ridiculous prices that end on 0.99. They'd have to end in 0.95!

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Just for reference, the Denver US Mint no longer _really_ makes pennies. They merely stamp the front and back onto pre-made blanks. The stamping is done by a Swiss made machine!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Just for reference, the Denver US Mint no longer _really_ makes pennies. They merely stamp the front and back onto pre-made blanks. The stamping is done by a Swiss made machine!
So, from your point of view, where is the coin made?

By the way, the process of lightly stamping metal to bend or straighten, texturize or polish, surface harden (by work hardening), or to shear or puncture a small section of a pre-made blank is called "coining".

And, where did you expect the equipment to be made? China, Korea, Japan, ...?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'm all for eliminating pennies, if only to get rid of those ridiculous prices that end on 0.99. They'd have to end in 0.95!
So what about vehicle fuel prices that end in 9/10 cent? o_O

What purpose are they serving now exactly? :rolleyes:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I keep thinking, "Savings for whom?":confused:

Savings for me to pay a minimum of $1 for a stick of chewing gum?
Savings for me to round all my purchase prices UP to the next higher dollar?
Saving the pockets of my pants by carrying dollar size coins?
Don't worry, only seem to be pushing elimination of penny & nickel so things get rounded to nearest dime. Elimination of paper dollar and replace with dollar coin - a coin only slightly bigger than quarter, or, slightly smaller than a quarter with a dual metal design.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I keep thinking, "Savings for whom?":confused:

The real savings for me will come when I no longer have to wait for my wife to rummage through her purse looking for exact change and watch her re-count it as she hands it to a cashier.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
"Should small-value coins be discontinued?"

Don't all US coins fall into that category? Bills too for that matter. Fiat currencies, by definition have no value.

Instead, maybe the Federal Reserve should be discontinued.
I guess it's an issue of context and frame of reference.