Should I use my warranty to replace this battery, and could its low capacity cause other issues?

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Hi, so my laptop is supposed to have a 75 WH battery and 5 hrs battery life. However, I've been using it pretty heavily over the past year and it's at 73% of its max capacity, 55/75 WH. I've also noticed that charging is slower. Is that from the reduced capacity and lifespan? Wouldn't it be faster if it has a smaller capacity, as it's less AH and the same A? Also, other than an extra hour or two of battery life is there any urgency to use my warranty and spend the time to get it fixed? I'm pretty busy now.

This is a screenshot of a windows command prompt HTML file of the battery. It's liP, presumably LiPo.
upload_2019-10-1_19-50-25.png

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Battery life as specified by the manufacturer will have been determined under very specific operating conditions, with the laptop configured to have the lowest current draw possible. This gives the most optimistic figure. In reality you are most unlikely ever to achieve that. If you read the small print and the Ts&Cs of the warranty I suspect your chances of a successful warranty claim would be slim, but good luck.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
When I say 5 hrs battery I mean what reviewers say and I used to get, not what it says. But is the fact that it's only 55/75 WH enough for a claim?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Batteries degrade over time, they wear out, so reduced battery life may or may not be covered under warranty. Read through the fine print and see if it's covered.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
I got it a year ago, and the warranty is for 4 years so it should be covered, as long as they think it's warn down enough. But could heavy use and draining it a lot cause slow charging? I feel like it used to charge faster and it's a 130W charger for a 75 WH battery so it should be able to charge it at whatever they feel is safe for their charging circuit.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If the battery capacity has reduced with age (as is normal), and if the charge current control is based on capacity (which is reasonable), then the charge current will be reduced. Depending how the controller deals with that, the charge time might be lengthened.