Should I use a filter, to filter out unwanted signals??

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
When engineers build a video receiver that wirelessly receives video, they don't pass the signal through a low pass filter first, then pass the signal through a high pass filter or do they?
No they do not do this. The response of this strategy is not what you think it is; it is just about the worst thing you could do.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I suggest that you find some books on super heterodyne (Normally abbreviated to superhet.) receiver design. (Or Google it.)
This will give you a basic idea about how to achieve your goal. You will then need to study the design of the individual blocks that make up the superhet receiver. For 5.8 Ghz the design of the input band pass filter you will have to study strip line or cavity filter design. That part of the design will require a VERY GOOD understanding of mathematics.

Les.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
am/fm radio
Here is a kit that will teach you about two kinds of radios. It is not 5.8ghz but a simple radio where you can see filters and know what they do. This radio was used in a class. I am not going to work through months of learning here.
1648240133321.png

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
No, he would use a tuned RF amplifier, which serves as a bandpass filter. Or he might use a regenerative circuit or suoerheterodyne.

Why don’t you research radio receiver circuits.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No, he would use a tuned RF amplifier, which serves as a bandpass filter. Or he might use a regenerative circuit or suoerheterodyne.

Why don’t you research radio receiver circuits?
Obviously, because making a forum post is easier than reading or doing [shudder!] mathematics.