Should I just buy a controller for my LED sign?

Blitzburgh

Joined Jun 13, 2017
I have a REALLY unique situation on my hand. I have an LED sign that has been working just fine at another location. Owner sold it to me for a great price and told me, he had lost the remote to program it.

Honestly, I didn't give it much thought. Figured it would be a piece of cake to identify the MFR, contact them, get another remote and wa-la! My own instant LED sign.

Nothing could have been further from the truth.

After first looking on the back, then the top and the sides and finally opening the back of the panel I came to realize there is absolutely 100% NOTHING MFR with this sign. (And it IS professionally made)

Nothing on the circuit boards. Nothing on the rails. Nothing nowhere to tell where it was made, year - nothing.

The only discernable information I can find in any manner whatsoever is from the controller board where it has a 44 pin chip that is (presumably) the controller.

I have searched for HOURS on this thing and cannot find anything on the web about it.

I am out of ideas of what to do here. I believe the simple solution is to just buy a new controller and be done with it. But, where do I find something like this and where?

Attachments

Blitzburgh

Joined Jun 13, 2017
I already did that as well. He said he picked it up off Craigslist about 10 years ago. LOL

Of course there is a zero percent chance of getting that info back. Trust me, we have even went to the control IC MFR to see if they had any input.

Their only advice was to have someone download the 44 pin IC and marry it up to a remote.

Before I chased that avenue, I thought I would come here to see what everyone else's opinion would be on the subject.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It might be easier to start over by replacing the controls. The structure and LEDs are the expensive part and I suspect that a modern controller would do more and cost less than the original solution. I suppose you've considered this already. About the only other thing I can think of is to take it to a local sign shop and see if you can find somebody that's been around long enough to recognize where this thing may have come from.

Blitzburgh

Joined Jun 13, 2017
I am 100% in favor of this - I mean, from what I can tell, it is just a simple control board. Everything else is just routing for the lights and a power supply.

Thing is, I have no idea where I would find something like this. i.e. Controllerreplacementboards.com (Wouldn't that be nice?)

If anyone here has some sage advice I could sure use it right about now.

Thanks, Mike

It might be easier to start over by replacing the controls. The structure and LEDs are the expensive part and I suspect that a modern controller would do more and cost less than the original solution. I suppose you've considered this already. About the only other thing I can think of is to take it to a local sign shop and see if you can find somebody that's been around long enough to recognize where this thing may have come from.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I would ask for my money back.

Trying to get this cheap no-brand Chinese stuff repaired is not worth the trouble.
There is no such thing as a "replacement controller" - the designs change.

Buy a new one - cheaper than the nightmare you are contemplating

Blitzburgh

Joined Jun 13, 2017
I would ask for my money back.

Trying to get this cheap no-brand Chinese stuff repaired is not worth the trouble.
There is no such thing as a "replacement controller" - the designs change.

Buy a new one - cheaper than the nightmare you are contemplating
Next...