Should I buy a cnc machine just for making circuits? ($120 one!)

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
I found this cnc machine that costs only 125$. and a 350$ another at 325$
it has a build area of 20cmx10cm (well good enough for me)

I asked what accuracy I can achieve with this (trace width) and the website told me it depends on the Mill.

mostly interested in the 125$ one. can I use this to make SMD PCBs?I don't like messing with acids.

EDIT: It's 215$ not 125$ I made a mistake D: still amazing though!
These are all the info it has, It's a persian website so these are the specs:

Specification
:
Profile Dimensions: 260x240x220mm (without motor projecting portion)
Stroke (engraving area): 160x100x30mm
Screw: Professional T8 screw, lead 4mm, double copper nuts eliminating backlash
Stepper motor: 42 new stepper motor. reliable quality
Voltage: 12V, phase current 1.3A, 2.1 European phase resistance, torque 0.25N.m
Spindle: 775 spindle motor (12-36V) 24V: 7000r / min, 36V: 9000r / min
Power: stepper motor power: 12V 3A adapter
Spindle motor power: 24V 5A adapter
Table: 20100 profile (table size: 180x100mm)
Frame: 2020 Profiles

software:
Control Software: GrblController
Toolpath creation software: Artcam2008 (Chinese crack version) (lol)
PCB processing software: Coppercam (Chinese crack version) (also lol)

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Why mess with that when you can get double sided, plated through hole for a 50c to a couple of $$'s?
I can just imagine a CNC M/C for $125.00!
Max.

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Why mess with that when you can get double sided, plated through hole for a 50c to a couple of $$'s?
Max.
Cause I love in the magical land of iran where everybody hates us and doesn't even let us visit websites (cause iran-US thing that has nothing to do with people) unless I use a vpn.

I did found a website called easyEDA that says they do ship to iran (20euro~ shipping cost but I"m not 100% sure) and takes 15 days!

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Max.
But once you've got the CNC you can do loads more than just making PCBs - engrave panels, cut accurate holes and slots in boxes, make custom levers, make wooden/plastic clocks, and on and on. Limited only by your imagination.

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
But once you've got the CNC you can do loads more than just making PCBs - engrave panels, cut accurate holes and slots in boxes, make custom levers, make wooden/plastic clocks, and on and on. Limited only by your imagination.
Yesss!
But if the quality of my PCBs aren't going to be good enough for at most 16-12 mil traces(10mil would be lovely) or not be good enogh I rather keep it and invest in a 300$~ prusa i3 3d printer (first gen)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Yesss!
But if the quality of my PCBs aren't going to be good enough for at most 16-12 mil traces(10mil would be lovely) or not be good enogh I rather keep it and invest in a 300$~ prusa i3 3d printer (first gen)
I can't comment on the suitability of your chosen CNC for making PCBs. I have a CNC3020T which I use with a 0.3mm (11 mil) end mill and it makes excellent boards.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I found this cnc machine that costs only 125$. and a 350$ another at 325$
it has a build area of 20cmx10cm (well good enough for me)

I asked what accuracy I can achieve with this (trace width) and the website told me it depends on the Mill.

mostly interested in the 125$ one. can I use this to make SMD PCBs?I don't like messing with acids.

These are all the info it has, It's a persian website so these are the specs:
For $125, I'd buy a CNC machine just to look pretty in the garage!

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Not necessarily... take a look at this post. It's a lot cheaper than using an engraving machine, and probably faster too.
But I don't wanna mess with acids or chemicals. I have made super decent ones with the etching method (16mil just good old throw it in the acid and stuff) but stained the entire kitchen cause I'm a huge idiot and thank good I didn't get any in my skin

Also ruined a pair of (very hated) jeans!!!

kam hagh

Joined Nov 7, 2015
Truth being told... I'm very skeptic about a $125 dlls CNC PCB milling machine... it is probably a scam.
Nope it's a diy kit I buy Almost everything from them!

Here's the link. I think you can use Google translate

http://shop.aftabrayaneh.com/Arduino_Grbl_CNC_Machine__AFTAB.html?search=Cnc&sort=p.price&order=DESC

There's 3 more in the almost same (200$) Price range

Also the q/a section says that it can only enrave and it can't cut metal or even plastic unless it's thin

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That machine you linked is unbelievably low priced. As in, too good to be true. $125 would not even cover half the parts if ordered in bulk wholesale directly from a Chinese supplier. I second the assertion that it's likely a scam.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
It looks to be very light duty with 3-D printed plastic parts. If it is brand new and you never abuse it, it might be okay for circuit boards. If it is used, it is probably loose and wobbly and no good for circuit boards. We couldn't even start to make it for that price.

If $125.00 is a lot of money to you, don't buy it. If $125.00 is pocket change, go for it. That is a cool toy and you may be able to keep it tight enough.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It looks to be very light duty with 3-D printed plastic parts. If it is brand new and you never abuse it, it might be okay for circuit boards. If it is used, it is probably loose and wobbly and no good for circuit boards. We couldn't even start to make it for that price.

If $125.00 is a lot of money to you, don't buy it. If $125.00 is pocket change, go for it. That is a cool toy and you may be able to keep it tight enough.
What are you talking about? What he linked to was made of aluminum extrusions and ballscrews.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Reading the fine letter says it all.

If someone is offering you whatever the product is jointly with cracked software to operate it, do not be surprised that it could be a fiasco in the end or a stolen product. And not much hope of support later.

Unless it is someone hurried to get rid of good equipment thus the unrealistic price, which I doubt.

No matter what, a decent machine able to produce a passable PCB does cost, new, much more than that.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
From the picture, it seems to have reasonably decent construction. But what was not clear is what you actually get. electronics? steppers? software? There is a lot more to CNC machines than mechanical parts. What's not at all clear are the tolerances that it can do.

I agree that home etching is a mess though I've been able to make pretty decent boards with it. (try ammonium persulfate for no staining). But double sided boards are a challenge and you don't get plated through holes, solder mask or a decent silk screen. The same thing is true for milled boards. I'm lucky to be able to get great quality PCBs made for cheap with about a week lead time.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Reading the fine letter says it all.

If someone is offering you whatever the product is jointly with cracked software to operate it, do not be surprised that it could be a fiasco in the end or a stolen product. And not much hope of support later.

Unless it is someone hurried to get rid of good equipment thus the unrealistic price, which I doubt.

No matter what, a decent machine able to produce a passable PCB does cost, new, much more than that.
No need for cracked SW as there is lots of open source and/or free stuff out there.