Sharing video / audio on multiple TVs?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I currently live in a two story townhouse where my office is directly above the living room. I have a media center PC in the office with an HDMI splitter. One side goes to the TV in the office. The other side goes to the TV in the living room. This allows we to move from room to room watching the same content.

I am moving to a ranch house (one level house). The living room PC will be too far from the office to run HDMI cables. I looked at wireless HDMI but it looks like their distance is limited and they are alos very expensive.

Anyone have any ideas? I left a message on the Kodi (the media center software I am using) forum, I am hoping there is some kind of plugin that will let me do this. I would need to add a Raspberry Pi but it would still be cheaper than those wireless HDMI devices and a lot cheaper too.

Any other ideas how I can share video / audio wirelessly?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So how does it work? Do you just run software on the client PC that is sort of a browser? And the cost PC somehow broadcasts the video and audio ofer the LAN?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
So how does it work? Do you just run software on the client PC that is sort of a browser? And the cost PC somehow broadcasts the video and audio ofer the LAN?
The main pc is your media server. Since all the comps are on the same network, all other pc are just clients. I am not sure if you will be able to pause the stream on the client pc or not, it might be possible.

Every windows pc has media player, so you don't need anything extra: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...ices-and-computers-using-windows-media-player

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ah I see so I play it via media player. And I think that VideoLan has their own version of media player so I guess that should work on Raspberry Pi.

The big question is if the host would all work with it seamlessly under Kodi. I currently control Kodi using a wireless keyboard anywhere in the house.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

It looks like you need to pick the video to stream. That would be ugly. What would be ideal is if you could somehow stream what was going to the video and audio adapters.

I am thinking that I might get stuck using wireless HDMI. One I found appears to work 100 feet. If I can position the transmitter near the dorr of the office and it just might make it.

Though Kodi might still have an answer. I know this capability exists in at least one cable provider where you can move room to room. I wold imagine Kodi could do that too.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You are right, client would need to connect to the media server, meaning you are telling it where to go on your network. I wonder if it could be scripted. You double click on the icon of the media player program, and it automatically connect to the media server. Also you need to make sure that media server pc always has the same address.

Basically you want tv like behavior, but tv are hard wired to do what they do and they do it really well.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Under Kodi, it is no problem for multiple clients to connect to the media server but they all connect as individual clients. That is not rally what I want.

Also I am not sure if the clients can get access to the PVR to watch live TV through the media server.