Sharing Some Knowledge On Mosfets and Gate Drivers

ashkarmalik

Joined Jul 1, 2012
Hello ,
I am learning about Mosfets and Gate Drivers,So I need some Advice,
1)Does the the MOSFET gate driver with Bootstrap Capacitor require Input that is PWM or Does the Bootstrap circuit is Self Oscillating?
2)How to figure out that a Particular Mosfet gate driver have DC(signal) input or PWM input acceptance ?

This is an driver I need to drive - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc27201a-q1.pdf

Kindly through some light.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Please read that document it will answer all your questions.
I am no sure if this question should be addressed in this project form. looks homework related.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hello ,
I am learning about Mosfets and Gate Drivers,So I need some Advice,
1)Does the the MOSFET gate driver with Bootstrap Capacitor require Input that is PWM or Does the Bootstrap circuit is Self Oscillating?
2)How to figure out that a Particular Mosfet gate driver have DC(signal) input or PWM input acceptance ?

This is an driver I need to drive - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ucc27201a-q1.pdf

Kindly through some light.
Bootstrap requires pwm.
Charge pump has it's own oscillator for DC.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Please read that document it will answer all your questions.
I am no sure if this question should be addressed in this project form. looks homework related.
ENOUGH already! This site is about learning. If you have nothing of value to post other than RTFM then please don't post. If others don't want to be bothered by a question then they won't answer. But most people graciously invest valuable time and answer questions because they want to help and they realize documents like datasheets can be confusing to those not used to reading them. I for one am extremely grateful to all of those that answer my "dumb" questions, to which answers can be found in some confusing datasheet.

ashkarmalik

Joined Jul 1, 2012
@ Ronv ,Thank You for taking out some time to make me understand BootStrap Oscillator method.
So What I Conclude is that, If I would Supply Pure DC into the Input Pin of the Upper or the lower side of the Gate driver then the gate Driver IC Would Work like a champ.No Need to Put PWM Into the Input side of the Gate Driver(I mean If I just want to test it)Right!
@ Spinnake I totally agree with you,Thanks for you support.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If I would Supply Pure DC into the Input Pin of the Upper or the lower side of the Gate driver then the gate Driver IC Would Work like a champ.No Need to Put PWM Into the Input side of the Gate Driver(I mean If I just want to test it)Right!
The source pin of the top FET must toggle for the bootstrap to work. So pulsed DC on the HI pin is necessary.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Bootstrap requires pwm.
Charge pump has it's own oscillator for DC.
Can you please give me a paragraph on the term "bootstrap" used this way?
In the provided data sheet paragraph 8.2.2.4 talks a bit about it but I'm not sure I grasp the concept. Does the bootstrap just speed up turning the high side MOSFET on?

Last edited: