Shaded pole motor experience.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a home air exchanger that has a couple of small shaded pole motor fans and due to seizing periodically I have tried to lubricate them but ended up replacing due to eventual seizing etc.

On the last instance I thought I would attempt a more in-depth repair, the material that was intended to lubricate and keep the bearings lubricated was powdered, probably due to the heat, not the customary felt that I have seen before.
I decided to use felt pads to retain the lubricant, on the question of lubricant I decided to try Transmission fluid as this retains its properties even when very hot.
Also a couple of the rotor bars had shown sign of heating, probably as a result of the stall.
The windings still appeared in operable state without sign of heating.
Will see if this extends their life somewhat and the T.F. works!
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I open all new motors and pack the bearing areas with clothes dryer lint, obtained when washing a new bag of cotton shop towels.
My transmission instructor told me, "Transmission fluid is a good grade of oil with some red dye and a lot of detergent."
I recently experienced some Mercon V
It is so slippery that you can bet on dropping at least one quart bottle and wearing at least half a pint.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I open all new motors and pack the bearing areas with clothes dryer lint, obtained when washing a new bag of cotton shop towels.
My transmission instructor told me, "Transmission fluid is a good grade of oil with some red dye and a lot of detergent."
I recently experienced some Mercon V
It is so slippery that you can bet on dropping at least one quart bottle and wearing at least half a pint.
Hee hee....definitely the voice of experience.

I remember building my first shady pole motor as a kid. The theory of these is still pretty amazing....never would have thought of it myself!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I used some $ Store felt pads used for placing under trophy stands etc to avoid scratching furniture, these avoid shredding and getting into the bearings.
Max.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Use straight 30wt motor oil in a hypo needle. Way back when I was the service manager for a company that made record players and tape recorders for schools. We had shaded pole motors in service by the thousands and tried every lube one can imagine.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
. We had shaded pole motors in service by the thousands and tried every lube one can imagine.
Did you try A.T.F.?

"Modern ATF typically contains a wide variety of chemical compounds intended to provide the required properties of a particular ATF specification. Most ATFs contain some combination of additives that improve lubricating qualities, such as anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application); anti-foam additives and anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"
Max.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Can't remember this was back in the early 70's. I know we tried gun oil and remember 3-N-1 oil being one of the worst for gumming up the works. Usually took a year or two for the test subjects to make it back to us. You will know in a year or so how well the ATF worked.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Anything that reaches temps above 125 F is a candidate for Vaseline.
Getting it in there would require it to be applied to a warmed up motor though.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I know we tried gun oil
I used to use Gun oil, but the bearings in new fractional HP motors are so bad they started flashing the oil into flames.:eek:
However, I do have a bathroom fan that has been running for 38 years on Gun oil.:)
We're talking sintered bronze bushings here.
I tried T.F. to McGyver a fan motor until I got back the next day. Another fail.:(
I'd like to hear if straight 30 weight works for a shaded pole motor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On re-assembly found the thermal cut out was open, usually they reset on cooling, but this had blown open.
With it shorted motor runs OK with a test
Managed to drive it out and now waiting for replacement.
Max.