seven segment LED

Lin

Joined Jul 26, 2006
Hi

Does anyone have the schematic diagram of the connections/wiring to make a simple seven segment LED (how to connect each segment to what)

my project requires me to make a numerical display(1-9)
i have to input a number to the computer and the number has to appear on the numerical display

pls help

thanks

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
The pinouts vary. You need the data for the type that you are using.

The simplest way to make one work would be to latch and buffer the output from your parallel port and either drive the segments directly, or via a BCD to 7 segment display chip like the CD4511. A simple program in Qbasic or Visual basic should handle the software side.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Lin said:
Gadget said:
The pinouts vary. You need the data for the type that you are using.

hey thanks

could u pls explain what u mean in layman's terms ?

thanks
I think Gadget means, you need the datasheet for the type of 7-segment displays you are using, since the pin assignments vary from type to type. You will need to identify which 7-segment device you wish to use.

Dave

Lin

Joined Jul 26, 2006
Dave said:
Lin said:
I think Gadget means, you need the datasheet for the type of 7-segment displays you are using, since the pin assignments vary from type to type. You will need to identify which 7-segment device you wish to use.

Dave
icic

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Yup, there are MANY different types, styles and manufacturers of 7 Segment LED displays, and they dont all use the same lead connections.
You must first identify whether your circuit will use Common Anode, or Common Cathode types, and then choose the type that best suits your needs (Red, Green, high bright, large size etc etc). The type you chose should either come with pinout data, or the data should be readily available.