Seven segment Displays interfaced with MSP430G2553

em_cardc

Joined Apr 5, 2016
Hello World ;)

I posted here regarding a homework project in regards of a code to implement MSP430 inputs into a full adder to display outputs in LED combinations of 0 and 1 (0 low, 1 high). Now, the assignment requires to extend this by implementing two seven segment displays. The task consists about sending both output results per situation count... (truth table attached) to a seven segment display (display 1) and mark a letter P for a passing test or an E for an error (let's say you unplug one of the inputs) along a second seven segment display (display 2) that will indicate what situation (out of the eight in the truth table) is being tested (so 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will be displayed in the second seven segment display). What I can't figure out here is how to start since I have two outputs from the full adder which are to be read from and display a "single character" (P/E) from two outputs. I also don't know the implementation of the three inputs into a single number.

What knowledge I do have from the previous homework is that the three inputs are fed as outputs from the MSP430 (P1.0-P1.2) and then when the results are displayed in the two LEDs these same results are sent back (input) to the MSP430 (P2.1, P2.2) and then to display the error, an extra output is sent from the MSP (P1.3 per say) and displayed on a third LED once it detects a failure/error. Attached are schematics of what I mean with this.

Truth table: 3 inputs, 2 outputs, 8 cases. (A counter was implemented to recreate this in the circuit board) (Also, single cases can be implemented where each situation is taken into account (8 if-else statements in a while loop with 5 second delays in between).

set-up