Settable Delay Timer with Display?

jb_magic

Joined Nov 28, 2007
I'm hoping to build a circuit that would provide the ability to set a time (hours/minutes) after which a set of LEDs will turn on. I would like a display for setting the time and have that display count down. I'm not against purchasing a prebuilt system for some/most/all of this if such a kit is available.

A count up timer would also be fine provided I can set the time to count up to before the lights go on.

I'm a novice at this but can follow directions and assemble parts if the schematic is good and parts list available.

Thank you all in advance.

-john

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
This has "micro-controller" written all over it.

You're sure its LEDs you want to light up, and nothing objectionable? A New Years Day display perhaps? Nothing objectionable?

jb_magic

Joined Nov 28, 2007
Nope, nothing objectionable. This is for a floatation tank I've got in my garage and I'd like to be able to set a timer so that the lights go on inside the tank after a preset time period. I often go into the tank when I'm home alone and would like a nice easy reminder to come back to the world, the alarm clock just isn't working for that.

jb_magic

Joined Nov 28, 2007
I think I'm going to mod a kitchen timer. I tore apart one I had at home last night and was able to get it to kick on an LED but the voltage wasn't enough and sadly this timer doesn't have a solid beep, instead it has some flasher circuit which I'll need to disable.

My thoughts are as follows:

Kitchen Timer -> Relay Switch -> LED system

This way the LED can be powered separately and the kitchen timer would only need to activate the relay.

thanks for any more advice, really appreciate it.

jb_magic

Joined Nov 28, 2007
Followup question...

what would it take to have lights come on gradually, as if on a dimmer with the brightness increasing slowly until the lights are completely on? I am using LED's but I think they will simply put out less light with lower voltage.

Thanks.

-john

jb_magic

Joined Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the tip regarding using a 555 as a PWM. From what I can tell that circuit would force a specific percent/duty cycle. I'm hoping to find something that would increase the amount of light over a period of about a minute, an auto-dimmer of sorts.

-john

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
A ramp at pin 5 of the 555 timer results in PWM.
Here's an idea: Take a npn transistor TR and connect collector to pin 5, emitter to 0V, base through RC to +Vcc. as C charges slowly, TR conducts less and the voltage in pin 5 rises.