servo control speed and maximum throw using pots

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Let's assume you are asking about model servos.

Maximum throw? Do you mean resetting the limits? I don't know, as I have no interest it. All of my servos have mechanical stops at the limits.
If you mean simply moving the servo, then yes, that is very easily done.

Now, as for speed, the oldest method was to increase or decrease the frame rate. That only sort of worked. Now and more effectively, the servo offset is increased incrementally to reach the balance point (the final position you define). Each increment has an adjustable delay, so the speed is much better controlled.

carnivalkits

Joined Jan 7, 2020
Thanks for the reply, Yes what I am trying to design is a servo that can be used to control the lifting of something simulating a hydraulic cylinder The system would need to be adjusted as to how far the ram extends depending on the model it is used on. For example if the model is a Roundup which consists of a wheel turning on a plate that lifts into the air via a simulated hydraulic cylinder the maximum distance the cylinder lifts and the time it takes to get there is what I am after. The same system would be applied to many different carnival models that have a cylinder that lifts something. Rich

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Using a pot to control an MCU is simply a matter of putting a fixed voltage across it and using the ADC for input.

As an alternative, I would use a rotary encoder and stay completely digital. A rotary encoder such as this, can give you 14-bit resolution per turn (which is probably way overkill). Of course, if you don't need all of that, the resolution can be easily reduced to whatever you want. There is a wide selection of rotary encoders available.

Those are some nice demos you posted.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Good models!
Just a pointer...
Hold your phone horizontal when videoing. I see so many vertical videos and it just wastes screen space as all TVs and monitors are horizontal.

carnivalkits

Joined Jan 7, 2020

carnivalkits

Joined Jan 7, 2020
Good models!
Just a pointer...
Hold your phone horizontal when videoing. I see so many vertical videos and it just wastes screen space as all TVs and monitors are horizontal.
Thanks, I design them then have them 3d printed then make them run when I can. I will try the wide angle you suggest. Some of the earlier clips were done using a camera

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi Albert, thanks for the reply... yes arduino, my real question is how to have limits entered via pots that the end user would set to A control the max throw, B how long it takes to get there. C how long it stays at the max throw and D how long it takes to get back to the home position.
Research the Arduino map() command. It can take the ADC measurements and map them to any range of integers that you want.