Servo advice. Having a mental block

North_south_cosplay

Joined Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys. Brand new here and really new to the world of electronics. I'm one of "those" people who dress up as spiderman and run around haha. I'm currently attempting to build mechanical lenses (if you've seen the most recent spiderman films you will understand me) but for those who haven't. I want the create some lenses that will open and close like a camera shutter. I've got the basic idea of using servos but due to lack of space inside the spiderman mask. I was trying to keep amount of components down to as little as possible. I know standard servos have pos+ earth and trigger or signal. I can easily get the servo to move but I require it return back to its start point once I take away power. So for example I press the switch, the servo moves and the lenses close slightly. I release the switch and the lenses return back to their original spot. Thanks in advance for any help!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If it's a standard RC style servo then they work with pulse width so one width moves the servo one way and a different width moves it the other way. You will need something to generate tho widths when you press or release the switch. One standard solution for this would be a '555 integrated circuit.

North_south_cosplay

Joined Aug 1, 2019
[QUOTE="Wolframore,
Just got myself one. Looked at some vids and it would appear it would work perfectly. I can imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to break down the unit and throw away the bits I dont need and fit it inside a mask