Series-Parallel circuits

DCwannabewiz

Joined Oct 25, 2011
I am having trouble spotting parallel and series circuits when they are drawn above, in between and below each other. Is there an easy way to recognizing them. When they are combined.

Also I have a problem question.

R1 in parallel with a branch containing r2 in series with a parallel combination of four other resistors. How would some one visualize and draw this series-parallel combination?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It really boils down to practice alone, when it comes to recognizing parallel and series combinations.

I 'll rephrase your question to make it a bit more clear:

(R1) in parallel with ( [...] (r2) in series with (a parallel combination of four other resistors) )

Can you draw it now?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This thread is moved to Homework Help section now, were "you show me first" rule applies.

@Jon Wilder
In the future, keep in mind that in AAC we try to help the students find the answers themselves, rather than giving them straight.
You did nothing wrong, since the thread started outside the Homework Help section to begin with, I 'm just mentioning it.

khian

Joined Oct 25, 2011
R3,R4,R5,R6 are parallel..so assigned them as RX
RX=[(1/R3)+(1/R4)+(1/R5)+(1/R6)]^(-1)

RX is series to R2. just add them..
RX + R2 = RY

RT = [(1/R1)+(1/RY)]^(-1)

Jon Wilder

Joined Oct 25, 2011
This thread is moved to Homework Help section now, were "you show me first" rule applies.

@Jon Wilder
In the future, keep in mind that in AAC we try to help the students find the answers themselves, rather than giving them straight.
You did nothing wrong, since the thread started outside the Homework Help section to begin with, I 'm just mentioning it.
Good to know and is actually the way I prefer to do it. Perhaps it would've been better off to answer his question with a question.

If you want, go ahead and delete my original post (I would've simply edited the original but the board doesn't allow that after a certain time period). Here's a better pic...without the resistors labeled. See if he can tell us which one is R1 and which is R2.