Serial to Ethernet converter

IG121

Joined Dec 30, 2014
Hello

I am kinda new with this. So the problem that I have start to build a Access Control System. I am using a card reader RAC-520 and a converter e-net TCP/IP, model e-P132-x. index.jpgindex2.jpg

And I have 2 problems

1. The E-Net converter dose not talk to my pc. I have a software provided with the converter called ETM.
  2. I am connecting the card readers on RS-485 and the Tx and the Rx diods on the converter doesn't light up.

Here is a link to the manual of the converter: http://www.decision-computer.de/Download/Manuals/Seriell/Konverter/E-P132-X-User-Manual.pdf

Thank you for the help. I try to google and made a big research but no resutls.

RS485 is notoriously hard to set up. I Think they should have said 485 half-duplex on the keyboard.
You do need two wires and ground and you do need terminators at each end of the transmission line. Ground may create a loop, so be careful.

Signals are sent differentially like Rs422.

You will have to have the baud, parity and number of databits right. There is an address too.

There is some good info at www.blackbox.com. A few measurements with a DVM and you should be set. I'm very rusty.

IG121

Joined Dec 30, 2014
RS485 is notoriously hard to set up. I Think they should have said 485 half-duplex on the keyboard.
You do need two wires and ground and you do need terminators at each end of the transmission line. Ground may create a loop, so be careful.

Signals are sent differentially like Rs422.

You will have to have the baud, parity and number of databits right. There is an address too.

There is some good info at www.blackbox.com. A few measurements with a DVM and you should be set. I'm very rusty.

My first problem is to connect it to the computer :( afdter that i will think about RS-485

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
To connect directly two devices using ethernet, you need a special ethernet cable called Crossover Cable.

If you have an ethernet hub, then you don't need crossover cable. Just plug both devices into the hub. The hub provides the necessary crossover.

shteii01:

Not necessarily true. If one port is an Auto-MDiX then your OK. If one port is gigabit, it's always auto-MDIX.
I only had one early device that would not work/configure with a crossover cable. I had to use a hub/switch.

Hubs with a dedicated uplink port are not auto-MDIX.

IG121

Joined Dec 30, 2014
To connect directly two devices using ethernet, you need a special ethernet cable called Crossover Cable.

If you have an ethernet hub, then you don't need crossover cable. Just plug both devices into the hub. The hub provides the necessary crossover.
I have try with crossover and I have try with hub but no result. This thing drive me crazy .....