Serial /Parallel

crobRob

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Hello,

is it possible to use a Shift Register to convert Serial Data to Parallel?
I'd like to control my DB25 Mill (Parallel) via USB. Most PC's don't have Parallel Db25 ports any more, is this possible?

Thanks,

Rob

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Maybe. While USB is serial, it is not simple serial. They do make, however, modules to translate from USB to RS232 and, probably, to Centronics parallel. But getting things that are timing critical to work is tricky because USB does not make it easy to exercise fine timing control. Also, Centronics is a bi-directional interface whose use tended to be very application specific. So it could end up being pretty challenging. Do you have all of the necessary documentation and understanding to know exactly what signals need to be sent and received from the BD25 connector in order to do everything that you want/need to do?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello,

I'd like to control my DB25 Mill (Parallel) via USB. Most PC's don't have Parallel Db25 ports any more, is this possible?

Thanks,

Rob
You should be able to go buy a parallel-port interface card and plug it into the computer.

Maybe Win 7/8 doesn't support the drivers????

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hello,

Thanks,

Rob
It would be better if you could describe in detail how the parallel port is transmitting information to the Mill's controller. Is it through the use of 8-bit characters? is it bidirectional? Are you using the port to send individual commands, or an entire program? Can the PC's software be tweaked? Do you have the source code? How about the mill controller's manuals?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The easiest way is to simply go buy a Parallel Port Card and shove it in the PC. There are also various devices like an old Belkin USB to Parallel Port and Serial Port converter I have laying around. While the devices work fine the problem is most of the software written around the parallel port won't run on the newer operating systems. Like trying to find drivers for that old HP Printer that uses a parallel port. Even if you manage to connect the printer to the PC HP quit making drivers with Windows 2K. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The easiest way is to simply go buy a Parallel Port Card and shove it in the PC. There are also various devices like an old Belkin USB to Parallel Port and Serial Port converter I have laying around. While the devices work fine the problem is most of the software written around the parallel port won't run on the newer operating systems. Like trying to find drivers for that old HP Printer that uses a parallel port. Even if you manage to connect the printer to the PC HP quit making drivers with Windows 2K. :)

Ron
Most old CNC equipment won't work with those converters, since the USB to PP converters were designed primarily for old printers, and some converters won't even allow bi-directional communication. Some converters can't even be configured as SPP EPP or ECP which might be a requirement for some controllers.