convert and 8 bit parallel stream to serial constantly

civrays

Joined Oct 14, 2023
I'm wondering if i can constantly convert an 8 bit parallel stream of data to serial?

I have a main clock, and a divide by 8 clock. On every 8 clock pulse i want to "load" the next 8 bits of parallel data. But i want to constantly keep shifting out the serial data without stopping.

I'm wondering if i can use a 74HC165 to achieve this I'm not sure if this is possible, and I can't understand how to load the next 8 bits.

I hope this makes some sense.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I'm wondering if i can constantly convert an 8 bit parallel stream of data to serial?

I have a main clock, and a divide by 8 clock. On every 8 clock pulse i want to "load" the next 8 bits of parallel data. But i want to constantly keep shifting out the serial data without stopping.

I'm wondering if i can use a 74HC165 to achieve this I'm not sure if this is possible, and I can't understand how to load the next 8 bits.

74HC597 is a better choice because it has an input latch.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

I believe this could be arranged. At least I have a plan in mind.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

What is the main clock frequency?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Sure, it's basically called SPI.
https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/november2010_smileysworkshop