Serial and Parallel AC Circuits Worksheet Question 9 Phase angle wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjterblanche

Joined Dec 31, 1969
The phase angle given as answer for Question 9 on the Series and Parallel Circuits worksheet seems to be wrong - should be -42.08 degrees?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The phase angle given as answer for Question 9 on the Series and Parallel Circuits worksheet seems to be wrong - should be -42.08 degrees?
Show us your math, and why you think so, in the Electronics Chat area. You'll need to actually register, but you might find it interesting.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Show us your math, and why you think so, in the Electronics Chat area. You'll need to actually register, but you might find it interesting.
For the purposes of this query, I feel there is no need for the OP to register they can give feedback here in this thread.

I concur with t_n_k that the given answer is correct.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, my thought was we could go over his problem and help him work it out. Basically the open tutoring that is done around here.

tjterblanche

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. And thanks for the e-book - it's a FANTASTIC resource.

I've taken the following steps in determining the phase difference:

1. Calculated XC (1 / (2 x PI x fC) = 1354.51ohm
2. Calculated the phase angle using trig: angle = atan Xc / R; answer was -42.082deg

I did note that if you do atan R/Xc, you get -47.91deg, but aren't you calculating the *outside* angle that way?

What am I missing?

Kind Regards,
Jaun

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Two things,

1. This forum is not for asking technical questions. Corrections to the books and worksheets are always appriciated, which is different.

2. Register, its free and painless. Then you can pick this up in the Electronics Chat forum, which is why it exists.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
This thread has run its course. I have locked it.

tjterblanche, I hope you will join the forum. Once you have joined, I'm sure the members will be more than happy to assist you with your questions.

hgmjr

Status
Not open for further replies.