Separating EE ferrite cores

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello to all
How to separate EE ferrite cores fixed with epoxy
ferrites are lossy enough to glow red in the microwave - that totally kills the epoxy, along with any windings. Sometimes the ferrites fracture as well.

There are commercial "resin disintegrator" solvents, but they tend to take a long time to soak in between the 2 parts - any spillage will probably damage the windings as much as the microwave.

Reverse engineering the original and making your own copy could be less hard work in the long run.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
For small and well opened cores may use a building-worker hot-air gun. However it gives slightly too hot and is too easy to overheat. When core is rather complicated I use the cheap oil of any sort and metal pot on the spiral type oldy-goody electric owen, or kitchen gas (at first a man must eliminate the wife to guest somewhere, other-how risk of divorce - I remember too well how ended a marriage of one my mate studying medicine, when wife tried to check what her man is boiling in their soup kettle, but that was a dead man skull just to sterilize before experiments [:)]). Most of oils boils at 160-180C and what You need are some 5 to 10 minutes. It becomes mild as plastillin and oil is crawling into smallest pores beyound the resin, thus small force while still hot and voila! For hundreds of cores I have succeeded in this tech only couple was crushed at my hands.