Sensor to check distance

oxicottin

Joined Jul 4, 2008
Hello, Im very very green to electronics but I can however follow instructions and can soldier ect... Now here is part one of my project, I want to build a sensor for the same reason some fella did in the very short clip I put on my Youtube channel (Link Below). I need it to sense an object like in the video which is brass and then the sensor would rotate out to check the distance from the powder to the sensor and if incorrect sound a buzzer. How can I do this???

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I don't know what sensor. There are color sensors that will know if powder is there by color. There are also distance sensors that can measure how much powder is there by height. Some sensors send light out and look at how much reflects back. Again not distance but will work for the video.
You could look at these sensors. sensors
Here is a good sensor for distance. 2cm to 400cm

oxicottin

Joined Jul 4, 2008
What is being used to move the sensor over the the brass? I figure its a servo motor, It appears in the video there is another sensor that picks up the case and rotates another distance sensor over the brass to sense distance?

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
What is being used to move the sensor over the the brass?
servo link These servos are small. They come in many types. Some turn 90 or 180 degrees. Some 360 or 3 turn or run like a motor. Most have good control over how far you want it to turn. They are used in steering remote control cars. Robot arms. Some time as motors to drive wheels.
1603512272358.png
The one pictured is $10 to $15 us dollars.