Sensor-based Automatic Misting System

fognight

Joined Mar 29, 2006
I'm in the design phase of an automatic misting system. I intend to use this as a humidity source in an iguana cage and would like it to be sensor based and emit a fine spray / mist.

The nozzles I have looked into require higher pressures to operate correctly as such a cheap low pressure but high volume pump is not able to work. I've specked out some low volume but high pressure pumps and they are all more than I would like to spend.

Now I have started to think rather than control a pump on/off I'll control a valve on a pressure-sprayer like you would use around a garden. This valve is my sticking point. I don't see the valve needing to be large or to work under weird conditions -- tap-water, 50 to 100 psi, on for about 5 to 15 seconds at a time. If possible I would like to stay DC.

Does anyone know of a source of small electronically controlled valves? I'm thinking solenoid but don't want to limit it at this point.

= = = =

Overview of the rest of my project:
humidity and optic sensor controlled -- relative humidity drop below a set point and the lights are on to spray and sensors on a 1 or 2 meter lead
timed short spray period -- perhaps a slow timer circuit running a GAL counter triggered by the sensors

thanks

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by fognight@Mar 30 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm in the design phase of an automatic misting system. I intend to use this as a humidity source in an iguana cage and would like it to be sensor based and emit a fine spray / mist.

The nozzles I have looked into require higher pressures to operate correctly as such a cheap low pressure but high volume pump is not able to work. I've specked out some low volume but high pressure pumps and they are all more than I would like to spend.

Now I have started to think rather than control a pump on/off I'll control a valve on a pressure-sprayer like you would use around a garden. This valve is my sticking point. I don't see the valve needing to be large or to work under weird conditions -- tap-water, 50 to 100 psi, on for about 5 to 15 seconds at a time. If possible I would like to stay DC.

Does anyone know of a source of small electronically controlled valves? I'm thinking solenoid but don't want to limit it at this point.

= = = =

Overview of the rest of my project:
humidity and optic sensor controlled -- relative humidity drop below a set point and the lights are on to spray and sensors on a 1 or 2 meter lead
timed short spray period -- perhaps a slow timer circuit running a GAL counter triggered by the sensors

thanks
[post=15602]Quoted post[/post]​
Not sure if this will work but have you thought of a fuel injector from a car? Operates from 12V and you should be able to pick a few up from the local wrecker pretty cheap.

As you only need a short spray you can have a 2 stage timer. When the sensors detect that a spray is required a pump can be started to build up pressure and then the valve can be opened once a set pressure is reached or "x" seconds after the pump has started.

fognight

Joined Mar 29, 2006
I had not thought of that but it gives me an idea; use a windshield washer pump.

Thing is I need it clean, nearly drinkable, but that can be done. Simply run it for a while with clean water.

I had been thinking about gerry rigging a lawn sprinkler system valve. Mechanically I could get it to work but would require making a new power supply, get this 24 V at 60 Hz. Do-able but just weird.

Thanks