Selecting fuse which do not burst like glass fuse

Vindhyachal Takniki

Joined Nov 3, 2014
I have 220Vac/50Hz application which require a fuse in series in case of overcurrent. Earlier I was using glass fuse. But I have noticed whenever it blows it goes bang. I dont want that it create such bang.
I have seen this video:
& noticed that ceramic fuses dont create such noise when blown. Can I replace glass fuse by these.
Disadvantage I read are:
1. When ceramic fuse blows, there is no physical mark on cermaic to identify that it i blown. Only way is by multimeter. While glass fuse gets black & can be identified by eyes.
2. Cermaic fuses are slower than glass fuse in breaking. Can it affect the circuit?

Any other point, or any other fuse type which dont get blown by such noise.
Input is 220Vac,50Hz, load is around 400mA.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Use a ceramic fuse of the same value.

I think that I would find out why the fuse has to blow. It is a serious condition when a fuse has to respond.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
define "it goes bang" ?
Burst? if so you may be exceeding its interrupt rating and should choose a fuse with a higher rating..
Fuses do make noise when activating..part of that is based on how much fault current you are actually getting.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you're using a BS1363 fuse, you cant replace it with anything else in the plug, if its for a pcb or used inside a piece of equipment, use antisurge fuses these have a spring inside and prevent inrush blows.

Ideally measure the working current and select the nearest higher fuse.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
When I was pretty sure a fuse would blow, I've made a cheap test fuse by wrapping a spent fuse in aluminum foil and narrowing the foil wrap to a weak point that will blow "fairly easily". I've always wondered what the rating of such a "fuse" is. You'd need to know the mil thickness of the foil and the width of the narrow point.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Ceramic "indicating fuses are also available. These have a small spring insert which "pops" out when fuse blows.
As said if glass fuse is breaking you have a problem with serious overload.

Vindhyachal Takniki

Joined Nov 3, 2014
I had 250V,0.750A glass fuse. We were shorting the output to see if fuse works correctly by limiting ac current to max 5A. This was for testing only so that in case any thing goes wrong what can happen.It burst like bang.
I will replace it with ceramic fuse. Thanks for suggestions.

N11778

Joined Dec 4, 2015
Similar to a problem I was having in the Air Force.
The Technical Order said and I quote.
"After replacing the glass impact switch Ops check it."
The only way to ops check it was to break it to see if the crash position radio launched from the tail of the Aircraft
Replace switch. Replace Emergency Locator beacon in tail. Operational check switch. Repeat until done.
Blow fuse, replace fuse, blow fuse, replace fuse.