Selecting final year Electrical and Electronic Project

Zubair Akhtar

Joined Dec 16, 2015
Hi guys,

New here! Got a quick few questions.
So i am in my final year and looking to choose my final year project. I really want to ace the project for 3 reasons.
-70 % of grades so if i do this well, i can potentially get a first.
- Individual project, so i can learn a lot and also apply what i have learnt.
- Have some confidence for the job market, have something to talk about and impress employers.

Now my concern here is, that i choose the correct project.
1. Something that is upcoming and modern.
2.Comprises of a combination of skills used; design work etc.
3. Something that would impress employers.

The following is a list of all projects that have been given to by tutors to work on.
Navneet Soin
1) Development of high performance dielectric-dielectric triboelectric systems for energy harvesting
2) Development of dielectric-metal triboelectric systems for energy harvesting

Akram Bati
1) Wind Turbines Power Quality Control
2) Flexible multi-axis Solar Panel Tracker with MPPT
3) Minimizing Power Systems oscillation by series controlled FACTS device
4) Generator control of Wave Energy Converter
5) Sensorless Speed control of Industrial Induction motors
6) Stability Improvement of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generators PMSG

Chan See
1) Multiple Input Multip Output (MIMO) antenna Design for LTE (4G) mobile handset
2) A implantable antenna design for biomedical device.
3) MIMO antenna for ultrawideband application.
4) Tunable UWB antenna for cancer detection.
5) Compact Planar Rectanna for Wireless Power Transfer in the ISM band.
6) Designing low power Wireless sensor network system (Hardware/Software) for Internet of Things (IoT) or on body area network.
7) Pattern reconfigurable antenna for wireless/mobile communication.

Kevan Smart
1) Design of vehicle movement detector using street lights
2) Design of vehicle movement detector using street lights
3) Design of Bluetooth controlled electronic home appliances
4) Design of density based traffic signal system using microcontroller
5) Design of LC meter circuit using 555 timer.
6) Design of an Ultrasonic distance meter.
7) Design of a fingerprint recognition device.
8) Design of a Head Movement Controlled Human-computer Interface
9) Design of a Industrial Automation Using Speech Recognition with Wireless Monitoring.
10) Image Processing Based Toll Automation Using ANPR.
11) PIC Based Greenhouse Monitoring and Controlling System
12) Real Time Patient Monitoring System Based on ECG Signals
13) Gesture Recognition Based Wireless Control Using MEMS.
14) Zigbee Based Remote Monitoring of Temperature and Relative Humidity Using PIC.

I am interested in doing the antenna for cancer detection as it hits home. But need a good suggestion, more preferably under antennas as See Chan is the best tutor

Would be very helpful . I have no idea how to approach this. I am able to answer any questions that you may have

Thank you

Zubair Akhtar

Joined Dec 16, 2015
If you want to do antenna design, then consider how well you have done in your electromagnetics course(s) to date.
We have not actually studied electromagnetics as of yet. it is the first module this year running alongside the project.i cant really find any information on designing antennas would someone be kind enough to point me n the right direction.

Also been studying a little bit of theory

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
little bit is not gonna cut it... you need to know a lot. i agree that you need to choose something contemporary and impressive but keep in mind - if your project does not work it will send another message and - very loud and clear.

also you don't mention what are you studying... for final year of high school, 555 based LC meter is appropriate. i would not even consider it for college or university unless you are studying arts or English.

Last edited:

Zubair Akhtar

Joined Dec 16, 2015
little bit is not gonna cut it... you need to know a lot. i agree that you need to choose something contemporary and impressive but keep in mind - if your project does not work it will send another message and - very loud and clear.

also you don't mention what are you studying... for final year of high school, 555 based LC meter is appropriate. i would not even consider it for college or university unless you are studying arts or English.
HI, in university studying the BENG electrical and electronic engineering. 3rd year s 1st semester consists of 3 modules.
1. electromagnetics.
2.electrical machines and drives
3. project module

Zubair Akhtar

Joined Dec 16, 2015

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
once you figure out what your area of expertise is, what you want to do etc. you need to start thinking what it takes to accomplish the task at hand. things you already know how to solve, you don't have to learn. things you have not done before will require research and investment of time.

radio is actually two parts - sender and receiver. if you want to use radio you need to manage sending and receiving data.
next you need to be able to focus it or analyse scatter data. this requires more than one radio (for example do you know how to triangulate?). collecting data requires storage space, writing and retrieving (for example rate / bandwidth).

supposedly you somehow got the data (that is the first step), you need to process it somehow and then display in some form. what do you think this entails to?

this will require some hardware and software. how much of it is readily available and what would you need to develop?

How much time you think you want to invest to get a working unit?

this is just to give you an overview of possible thinking process (there is usually more than one approach to anything). you need to be aware of investment (time for example) and your own abilities. and what ever you estimate, it will likely take 3x longer (at least).

i am not trying to discourage you but make sure you can chew what you bite. if you think that taking one semester course on electromagnetism or electrical machines will prepare you to see cancer in soft tissue you are dreaming. maybe try to build simple 2-transistor FM transmitter first and see how that goes. then try to build receiver... ;-)

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Are you limited to that list? Why not try something a little more simple.

Why not build an open air capacitor......and measure the effect on capacitance while spinning the plates in opposition?

OR......build a coil and cap circuit out of glass.......rub it on a cat.......and see if you can resonant it with mutual inductance?