Search for the Super Battery

Discussion in 'Physics' started by killivolt, Feb 6, 2017.

1. killivolt

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 10, 2010
    tranzz4md likes this.
  2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Great program but in the words of engineer Montgomery Scott.

but YOU CAN BEND THEM!!! and hope it doesn't explode too often.

killivolt likes this.
  3. MrAl

Distinguished Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

Maybe you could give us a quick summary of what we would see in this video and what improvements to batteries were found. Thanks.

killivolt likes this.
  4. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I guess what impresses me about the plastic electrolytic as medium carries charge without the possibility of Stalactite/Stalagmite accumulation, which is a major concern as a fire hazard. Plus the inventor can use Lithium metal, which increases charge carriers, it can be cut or punctured and still power your device.

Salt Water Battery was impressive because of it's simplicity.

Benefit:
    Drawback:
    They did show other Technologies, but these seemed interesting to me.

kv

5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    The problem for super batteries is eventually they will work too well. If its as Energy-Dense as High Explosives then it can be quite possibility also be used as a bomb by harnessing the total energy quickly.

The most powerful energy storage materials are “metastable.” If we can find a way to make very energy-dense compounds without high-pressure and exotic conditions at the level of powerful explosives like HMX we will have super batteries with the potential of great harm if misused.

killivolt likes this.
  6. MrAl

Distinguished Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

I wondered about this too with all the problems in airport security and the like.
    Even when i go to ship something with an Li-ion battery in it i have to tell the mail room attendant that it contains that kind of battery. If the battery explodes or even catches fire on an airplane of some kind people would freak out.

I like the idea of the 'plastic' based batteries though, so far.

7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    There's just something about the 'plastic' battery that tickles my skeptic bone but it looks great. I've seen generations of 'new' designs in the lab that failed like a stone when engineered for mass production.

Even lead is not dead, yet.
    http://www.alabc.org/

8. MrAl

Distinguished Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

Yeah it's good to be skeptic these days with any new material as there is so much old material called BS floating around.

It is amazing how much we still use lead acid, such an old technology.
    It is also amazing how other technologies have advanced while some of these older ones have not changed that much. Could it be they are being held back by some entity that sees it being a negative factor in their own industry. Once we get better batteries renewable energy will start to take a larger part of the power industry eventually leaving power companies in the dark (no pun intended but that sounds like fun to me). Maybe they have a way to hold back some new inventions.

9. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    That entity is called profit. R&D is paid for by cash from existing products in old line companies. If you have billions in sunk costs to manufacture X types of batteries (or any product) and the blue haired guy from R&D invents a new battery that requires you to spend billions more to make it cost effective to manufacture it's very likely that fancy new technology will sit on the shelf for a while.

merlynski likes this.
  10. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Agreed, all the investors that could invest won't, all those who have connecting Technologies huddle together like "Muskox" protecting their babies.

kv

11. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    We need to learn how to make batteries out of coal. It would be nice to electrically control the oxidation of coal at a molecular level.

12. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    That would be great, then we could stop using gas.

13. dougp01

Dec 6, 2005
    I enjoyed this program as well, I happened to run across it by chance. It explains very well, the problems with Lithium and what has been done to overcome these. I work in the business of large format redox flow batteries and this was only mentioned in the last few minutes of the show. Kind of wish they has spent a little more time on that aspect.

Doug

14. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I found it eye-opening just how explosive the lithium batteries can be. I had no idea. It's a little surprising they found their way into consumer products.