Sealed slide switch - when switching does the sealing require to be removed?

Andersons

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Does the sealing on a sealed slide switch has to be removed before sliding the switch, or is it supposed to be slided while sealed?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
It could be either. It depends on the design of the switch. If you have one and can operate the switch with the seal in place then you don't need to remove it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
if the seal is to keep out dirt during use, then no, it should not be removed.
If the seal does not get in the way of operation then why remove it?
REALLY, the purpose of the seal should be quite obvious just by looking at the switch. What brand is the switch? What is the manufacturer?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is a sealed switch in order that when it is fitted to circuit board etc, the board can be de-fluxed or washed, the seal is then removed, at leas that is the way i read it.
Quote "The actuator is sealed with a white-colored packing. Remove the packing with tweezers after the washing process"
This is the same for PCT relays that have a sealing 'pip' that is popped off after de-flucxing.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am not sure that there even is such a thing as a sealed slide switch. Sealed switches, certainly, but not a sealed slide switch. The main reason for selecting a slide switch is that they are cheap. Cheap and sealed do not go together.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not sure that there even is such a thing as a sealed slide switch. Sealed switches, certainly, but not a sealed slide switch. The main reason for selecting a slide switch is that they are cheap. Cheap and sealed do not go together.
Did you even read the note about the manufacturers reason for it.?
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Did you even read the note about the manufacturers reason for it.?
Max.
I am very much aware that slide switches and pots need to be sealed against assembly contamination. That is totally different from being sealed against dirt ingress during use. Solder flux and cleaning and those production hazards are totally different from the problems of dirty operation environments. THAT type of sealing is what I was referencing, and what the TS was asking about.