scr variable supply

driveman

Joined Jan 11, 2016
I am looking to make a variable 0-700v 100 amp supply with a 3 phase 480vac input using a Zero Voltage switching method, A 0-5 v input, and gate drivers in one IC. I have researched methods and going to use 6 scr's, A line filter, Large cap, and isolation for the gate drive. We already use these for DC drives but firing boards are complex and not in my scope for this project. Can you suggest single IC's(or three) that handle this or is this such a thing that is not made. I realize support circuitry will be needed as you cannot put 700 volts into any chip. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
In your research, did you find any IC's for this type of power supply? What kinds of things did you find in your research? I'd hate to go over it all again.

driveman

Joined Jan 11, 2016
In your research, did you find any IC's for this type of power supply? What kinds of things did you find in your research? I'd hate to go over it all again.
I found a few but none with a direct analog input 0-5. And most of my research brings up the method not directly going into the controller.The most descriptive uses an Arduino or PIC but no software descriptions.

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
I found a few but none with a direct analog input 0-5. And most of my research brings up the method not directly going into the controller.The most descriptive uses an Arduino or PIC but no software descriptions.
Perhaps you can share what you've found so far, and we can make suggestions on what to look for next. For example, even though the control voltage isn't 0-5V, an external circuit can make the interface work.

driveman

Joined Jan 11, 2016
I think it could power one segment of an electric street car or the little tram at the airport. Or one hub of a Tesla model s.
I have a massive induction heater I built but the only way to vary power is to vary duty cycle and it reeks havoc when tuning the frequency. That should be at set intervals for deadtime in the IGBT'S. The frequency vary's for load purposes. but is generally energy wasteful. I am rebuilding it so I wont have to spend 20 minutes tuning it each time I need it. including an Arduino to find it's resonant frequency. When it is on it is kinda dangerous and 90% of the time there is not a need for that much power. So I am splitting it into two sections power and drive. The drive part I am going to change the oscillator. and the power section will have a 0-700 SCR driven supply instead of the current(6) 1000v 70amp diodes. I will keep the Caps,(5000Mfd) 1200volts worth, buss-bars etc. and replace the diodes with SCR's that will either be controlled like a speed controller(potentiometer) of tie it to the Arduino.