scope signals have a angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinrussell

Joined Nov 27, 2017
Good evening everyone,

I’m currently busy with my electrical engineering study and around a year ago I purchased my first analog scope. The scope I have is a HM400 from Rodhe and Schwarz. When I purchased it everything was fine, but I haven’t used it for at least 6 months because it was still at my parents place. I didn’t wat to take it with me by public transport so I waited till my parent came to visit me by car and bring it along. Now I finally have it at my student home, but when I turned it on all my signals seem to be at an angle like in the picture. In the picture Chanel 1 is connected to the 10Khz probe adjust and channel 2 is not connected and configured to DC.

I did check mains ground of the socket in my room and it was connected to the mains ground in the common Living room. (Don’t know if this could the problem but I wanted to tell it just in case). I also checked the height of the screen through the ventilation holes and it is still strait, gently tapping and shaking it docent seem to have any affect as well.

Hope someone can give me a solution or any advice on this problem!
IMG_20171127_212429.jpg

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Trace tilt like that is caused by a magnetic field in the direction of the CRT's long axis (i.e., back to front). Sometimes the earth's magnetic field alone is enough to cause this, and changing the orientation of the scope will change the tilt of the trace.

Most analog scopes have a "trace tilt" or "trace alignment" adjustment on the front panel somewhere; usually it is a small screwdriver adjustment.

EDIT: Dangit! MrChips beat me to it...

kevinrussell

Joined Nov 27, 2017
Thx for the replays! Still missing the basics. Guise I should go read the manual again some time, this probably wasn’t the only thing I missed last time. Interesting to hear that the earth’s magnetic field can interfere with the signal.

Can I close the topic or something similar on this form since my question has been answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.