Schmersal AZ 16 door safety switch not working

BENCASEY83

Joined Jan 27, 2017
Hi guys

I have a Schmersal AZ 16 door safety switch on a machine that doesnt appear to be working all it does or supposed to do is obviously kill power to a motor when door is opened. the motor is a very simple start/ stop push button circuit with emergency stop. (All of this part of the circuit works fine). On a very quick inspection i saw that the safety switch is using two wires L an N. The live is going straight in number 96 on the NC side of the overload realy and the N is going to 0 volts. But when the door is opened the motor continues to run. I've been told that this worked fine only yesterday. Does the wiring sound right? The wiring at the switch side itself is wired into the normally closed contacts. L on one side N on the other.

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds like you have a defective safety switch.
It normally consists of a plunger operated switch that has a specially designed striker, when the striker enters the switch it is designed to operate two plungers in the right order to operate, this is to defeat someone pushing a rod into the switch to override it.
Either that or something is not wired right.
Max.

BENCASEY83

Joined Jan 27, 2017
Thanks max but would i be right in guessing that this switch is wired in the NC position? obviously when opened it should kill the contactor so it should be in on the NC on the overload relay too?