Schlage Connect Keypad lock - Converting to A/C adapter and adding a battery backup

Lifeisfun

Joined Feb 17, 2023
I think you might need 5 cells to get the 6 volts you need. The board uses an Ultra Low Voltage drop regulator and then uses 5 Volt logic for the main board, (At least the last board I looked at did) with 4.8 Volts input I think that when the 6 Volt motor engages to throw the bolt, the increased current draw will cause a very low voltage situation on the logic board. You should be able to wire in an extra cell somewhere or shop around for a smaller NiMH pack, look at some cordless phone packs and see if you find something that fits. Check out this wall wart for a safe and inexpensive power supply
What is being proposed so far will cause issues and not be reliable at all especially when we are talking about locking up a home.

I install these things and I can vouch that in cold weather they can eat batteries much faster than if they were operated in California.
I'd install a power jack in the housing and then charge the pack and disconnect the charger once they were topped up.
Its a great idea but as a system integrator I cannot modify equipment this way or risk getting sued if there was a fire, even if it wasn't my fault.
I know I'm very late to this thread but facing the same situation with Zwave power bolt that is in very cold area.
Do you think this combo will work well operating the lock and charging the battery to keep them ready 24/7.
Is this charger "smart" enough to be connected all the time to the battery pack?
Charger the 5S version
6V battery pack

Thanks

Last edited: