Schematic Drawing Software

Icarus1977

Joined Aug 4, 2014
Hi there,

My pcb schematic drawing software is no longer valid, as it's very outdated was using Ulticap and Ultiboard, which is now part of Electronics Workbench which I presume is still going?

So I am looking for something I can use as a one off for a design I am working on, mainly to post the schematic on here for help and advice and eventually go to board layout...

But I have no idea what is out there that is suitable...

Found this link earlier, tried a couple of them out but not finding the components I am using in their library (LM3524) express PCB seemed ideal but library was very limited...

http://www.electroschematics.com/2249/pcb-design-software/

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It depends on what you want to do.

If you only want to draw schematics without the need for a netlist export,
you can use a simple drawing program like paint or DIA ( http://dia-installer.de/ ).

If the export of a netlist is wanted, you should be looking for some integrated packages,
like gEDA, KICAD, or the mentioned eagle.

Bertus

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Is there a free program that will even work for an electrical dummy?

The one Bertus posted won't work in Windows 8.1.

Looks like it's too complicated for me anyway.....

I'll also try the one Tracecom posted too.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Also have a look at RS components "DesignSpark" - http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/designspark-pcb-home-page I'm not a "CAD" or computer person so this was a real big deal to make it work. They also have a forum to ask questions about it. When I joined the only thing was it took a few days to get my login.

It was the only one of all of the schematic tools that 'clicked' for me. It has a very large set of libraries (almost everything RS sells) and it will accept all of the Eagle stuff. For parts that don't have a 'library' listing it is really easy to make one. You just use an existing part with the same number of pins, rename the pins and part as needed and save it.

It can also do a 3D rendering of the board if you want it to.

Oh, it has no limitations on the size of the board or the number of parts.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I tried getting a DesignSpark account twice, but they never sent me a verification email. After two tries I had to just give up.

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
Took me about 5 minutes to complete the whole process including installing and activation. I've not tried out the software yet though.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I tried getting a DesignSpark account twice, but they never sent me a verification email. After two tries I had to just give up.
If I remember correctly you tried to sign up the same time I did. They had just really started to get the application out at that time and were swamped with people joining. Think they are much better now. Was kind of a "healthcare.gov" situation then.:D

It really is a lot like Eagle, just much, much easier for dummies like me to understand and use.:rolleyes:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If I remember correctly you tried to sign up the same time I did. They had just really started to get the application out at that time and were swamped with people joining. Think they are much better now. Was kind of a "healthcare.gov" situation then.:D

It really is a lot like Eagle, just much, much easier for dummies like me to understand and use.:rolleyes:
Ah, that could be. Still, in order for me to try again I'd have to set up another email address, which I'm not willing to do :p

MrSmoofy

Joined Jul 28, 2014
Ah, that could be. Still, in order for me to try again I'd have to set up another email address, which I'm not willing to do :p
You shouldn't need to setup another email address. If you try to login with the account you created before it will probably resend you the account activation. If you've forgotten your password use the forgot password link.

Once you have activated/verified your email address you still need to start the program and get the serial number and then login with your account and activate your copy using the serial number which they then email you the activation code. Your allowed up to 6 activations.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You shouldn't need to setup another email address. If you try to login with the account you created before it will probably resend you the account activation. If you've forgotten your password use the forgot password link.

Once you have activated/verified your email address you still need to start the program and get the serial number and then login with your account and activate your copy using the serial number which they then email you the activation code. Your allowed up to 6 activations.
Tried that, they said they sent an email to the specified address so that I can reset my password, but the email never came through. They just can't seem to send me emails.

Hello, I'm looking for a cad software package that supports vacuum tube design. Don't want to spend too much on it. If anyone can direct me to something that would be great! thank you.

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
I tried a few times unsuccessfully , finally got accepted , the site is very complicated as far as I am concerned .

I emailed them to unsubscribe me , but I have not received a verification .

NOT HAPPY !

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I kind of agree the website could be better, but, the software/application was well worth the small inconvenience. Much easier to understand than Eagle. Your mileage may vary.